Front / rear brake help!

mkp250r

Mar 14, 2015
So I just bought a 02 blaster that needs some work. The front and rear brakes don't work at all.

I took a part the rear cal and it's completely seized up. I soaked and cleaned and still can't get it to work.

I haven't look at the front yet but I'm sure they are shot too.

What's my best option for fixing these? Would like to not spend too much as I only spent 700 on the quad

your best option for the rear brakes is to contanct awk who is a member on here who modify a gxsr 1000 rear caliper to work on a blaster. im sure he will be commenting on here soon.. I had a set on my old blaster and you can stop on a dime as you would imagine

I've had mixed results trying to make the rear brakes work. I've bought guts and housings from ebay and been able to make them work as well as they can to be mechanical brakes. On the other hand I've had some that I couldn't get to work no matter what I tried. I have heard great things on the forum about the rear brake set up that Awk08 makes. I've got a 2001 that I am upgrading to hydraulic brakes right now and will need one of those rear kits myself.
Live close to Nashville? I have a rolling chassis (88-02) with working brakes listed on c-list.

Would like to not spend too much as I only spent 700 on the quad

doesn't sound like hydro's are in your budget for this bike.

a working rear cable brake caliper seems like the best option on the cheap.
a good cleaning, drum deglazing and actuator arm adjustment should get the fronts working, new shoes if needed.

Reactions: DUSH1K
I've taken the thing apart a clean it pretty we'll and still can't get the brake pad to slide. It's just frozen.