Frame differences.

MercMenace

Mountain Man
Apr 27, 2014
Cheyenne, Wy
Searched here not seeing the info i'm after.

I'm starting to look through ebay at frames.

Can someone chime in on differences in frames 03+ vs 02-?

Is one lighter than the other? which will offer more flexibilty parts wise? Which has unneeded fat that can be trimmed with a custom build? etc, etc, etc...

Back Story. Building a stocker for my boy. Getting the bug to start a build for my self. I'm strictly a Trail/Road rider. I like to be on the pipe as much as possible.

My build: Things I know for sure.
Motor: YFS200. +3 crank, Vitos 240
Stance: +3 swing arm, Banshee Axel, +3 +1 A Arms.

That's about all i know for sure.

you will need the correct footpeg and brake peddle on the right side as well for the hydrolic brake set up. and they are hard to find. you can modify the 88-02 to work.

might want to look at this when purchasing,to know what you got..........

year calculater pic plus ex1 1 1.jpg

88/89, same as 90-02 minus mount tabs for the metal heelgaurds/floorboards

03+ has different mounts for the cdi/regulator, nosepiece and rear hydro brakes.

if you're getting an 03+ frame for the rear hydro master cylinder mounts, you might as well plan on using 03+ electronics and plastics, as all the mounting for those is different up front.
and get the 03+ carrier for hydro caliper mount and wiring harness/stator to match the 03 cdi.

i have an 06 frame with everything else pre 03, it takes considerable fabbing/welding of mounts for the the pre 03 hood/cdi/regulator.
if fabbing/welding is in your toolbox, go for it, otherwise plan to use those items from the year frame you buy