For the tool guys

dksix

Apr 16, 2012
North East Tennessee
I'm finally getting to the end of my CR250 rebuild. I've had the bike over 2 years, trading for it with the engine in a box due to busted cases. I posted about the boring job that I had done at a local bike shop. It was done before I had joined here and at that time I didn't know that the ports needed chamfering. I did talk to KOR about sending it to him and having him chamfer the ports but felt that I could handle the work after some advise from Ken. As some have noticed in some of my pictures, I have machine tools. For years I did some hobby gunsmithing, went through the machine shop course at the local vocational school and work in/with the machine shop at work daily. My wife says my hobby is collecting tools and my "projects" are just excuses to improve my tool collection. There may be some truth in that. While I worked on the cylinder, I decided I should do some clean up porting. Using a micro die grinder was working great on the chamfering but really didn't have the power for porting but the full sized die grinder was just too much. A cheapo Harbor Freight rotary tool started smelling bad, then popped and had a small fire inside. As a avid tool collector I knew I needed something better. The result was 2 fine new additions to my collection. A Dremal 732 flex shaft and a Gesswein Foredom EE with a reciprocating Poli-Flex attachment.

The Foredom EE is really cool. Instead of being a rotary tool, it reciprocates. Stroke is adjustable, it can be used for engraving at the shortest stroke or sanding/filing on the longer stroke lengths. The Dremal has plenty of power but with the flex shaft is really light and easy to handle. I'm not sure who all is interested in stuff like this but thought I'd share.