fmf pipe and stock silencer?

sr5bidder

Dec 11, 2009
Marietta, Ga
I just got a fmf pipe in trade for a stock pipe through craigs list (rusty but solid), the problem is the FMF silencer is pretty much bent and no good and I thought I read somewhere that the fmf pipe must use the fmf silencer can anyone shed any light on this for me??

I do have a stock silencer and have not tried yet to fit it all together

i think it should be fine, i used to use an fmf silencer with the stock pipe and it was fine. silencers dont really make that much difference no matter what kind you get. they do change the sound a little bit but almost all power and sound comes from the header. as long as it fits on, it shouldnt be a problem.

silcenrs do effect the power.. we had this discussion week ago.. anyways.. it will be fine.. just take the stupud cap off the end of the silcner if you didnt all ready... and post a vid.. curious to head a fmf breathin threw a stock silencer

thanks guys, I was asking about fitment not performance.

I broke out the parts unlimited catologe last night and it was the fmf sst pipe that required use of the fmf silencer, the gold or fatty does not have a notation so I assumed it would be fine.

I have a stock silencer but the insert is gone does anyone have one laying around they dont need??

i had a fmf fatty with a stock gutted silencer for months when i first got mine running, sounded pretty good actually.

hey super nobber I see you have ny/ pa border on your profile I used to live around corry pa and will be traveling there in 2 weeks are you around there or around North East PA(a town above erie) long before your time we could go into ny state and drink beer while being under age in PA

hey super nobber I see you have ny/ pa border on your profile I used to live around corry pa and will be traveling there in 2 weeks are you around there or around North East PA(a town above erie) long before your time we could go into ny state and drink beer while being under age in PA

i mapquested it and it said corry was 4hrs west of me lol. im surprised i havent come across anybody really close.. there were a few guys in the scranton/poconos area that woudl be like a hour and change. and hey i will be 30 in a few months so it wasnt really waay before my time lol :D

I used to run my blaster that got stolen with the FMF fatty pipe and the stock silencer. I put the stocker on once when I was at a friends house that had close by neighbors to be a little more quiet, and although I'm sure there would be a little bit of a difference on a dyno, the seat of the pants test didn't feel any loss of power. Also, I don't think the sound was much if any different either!!

whoa I got the pipe on with the stock silencer w/ the end missing and it ran like crap, it was breaking up even after a good warm up but then remebered the air box lid I had taped up all the holes the PO had drilled in it

I popped the seat removed the lid a WAMMO the blaster has ALOT more pull in each gear where as before it semmed to have to be short shifted due the the rpm's falling off quickly and now it revs to the moon
my settings for the carb are 32,5 idle 280 main and 2nd clip from top I will try a 300 main next and see

I do want flood protection for the air box though anyone ever build a high flow snorkle system????.....need some Ideas

where I ride you never know when your going to come around a corner and be up to the seat in a mud hole...and thats on a full size dirt bike!!

I would recommend taking the airbox cover off....but I guess if you have deep water holes that's gonna be tricky. I would try your best to get as much air as possible into that airbox. Like maybe multiple snorkels like they do on utility quads setup for mud bogging?? I would use the largest diameter material you can, and do more than one. Maybe have two 3-4" pipes connecting to the airbox?? Cut holes in the sides and run them backwards and up at the back of the quad. It's best to have them go forward, as it will pick up less dust, but I'm just thinking in terms of being able to fit big air pipes, going forward could require a lot of work. Then get them to stick up as high as possible. Put a U at the end so that the opening is pointing down. You could even put a low spot in the snorkel so that if it did suck in some water, it would fall to the bottom and not get sucked into the intake. A well oiled filter will keep a little water out. Put panty hose over the intake as a pre-filter for large particles.

Also, in terms of jetting, was it running good with the 280?? Is that what you had for stock? Before changing the jet maybe try putting the needle clip a little lower. The clip can make a HUGE difference!!

yeah I know about the clips I did have the 280 in there stock with airbox lid on and it seemed on the rich end of things needle clip second from the top ...changed nothing except the air box lid removal and the fmf pipe ...had a chance to really ride on saturday and it really pulls hard even pulls the front end up in the meat of the powerband in 3rd gear... I am going to order a 310, 320, and 330 jet my next order

When it's jetted properly it should be pulling the front end up even in 4th!!

I was playing with the needle clip the other day on my blaster with stock pipe and FMF silencer. It was jetted OK before, but now it's even better. It wouldn't pull the front tires up as easily as with the FMF pipe....until I changed the needle position!! Now it doesn't pull the tires up quite as fiercely as with the FMF, but it pulls them upwithout me having to lean back, just purely from the throttle. And I'm not talking any BS putting your foot on the grab bar either, I'm talking a 235# 6'2" tall guy just hammering on the throttle in a normal riding position.

If you're rich, try going with a smaller jet and moving the needle clip down (which pulls the needle up). Although the blaster needle is more of a PITA to change than other carbs...you'll be happy you tried it.