FMF Gold Series Reeds?!?!

steve89

Jul 30, 2012
Williamsport PA
Im getting a FMF ystem today and the guy said it came with aftermarket reeds. Im not sure what he was refering to, are the reeds in the pipe? If so would i have to rejet to a bigger size because of the reeds? :-/:-/

Reeds are in between the carb and motor , they open and close with the use of the Throttle , you will need to change your jetting on your carb when you install the Fmf exhaust

ok thats fine, i was aware i would have to rejet..im also removing my air lid and have a uni air filter so i was aiming for a 280-290. I was unaware of where the reeds were. So would i have to install the reeds sepereatly or are they connected to something ?

Well your location and sea level also comes into play with your jetting , the reeds are in front of carb inside the back part of motor that has 4 bolts and is square

I found out this from some research if its helpful for rejetting with my other mods

The Mean Elevation of the state of Pennsylvania is 1,100 feet above sea level.

Reeds alone make a minor difference, often doesn't require jetting, maybe a little tweek if you were near the end of a jet. If you install FMF exhaust, reeds, remove airbox cover and install new UNI filter all at the same time, you'll basically just be adjusting for the FMF because that's what's going to make the big difference. I think 280-290 is a good starting point for you. Are you still running the injection system??

Either way I'd throw the 290 in there, maybe put the needle one down from the middle and see how that goes. It's best to start too rich rather than too lean!!

If you are changing from oil injection to 32:1 you should consider one size bigger main jet to compensate for oil taking the place of fuel in the premix.

The quantity of fuel passing through the jet will be less, so will create a leaner mix.

About jetting... I have fmf gold series fatty, and fmf power core 2
I'm running a 260 jet, should i change that? I'm in central MN near St.Cloud
My brother just put a 270 in his and he has stock pipe and fmf silencer

Depending wether you have the air box lid on or off'

#270 if premixing at 32:1.

#280 to #290 airbox lid off.

You must plug chop to make sure you have it correct.

I have the stock pump on the blaster, i run with the air box on.

i have jets: 200 220 230 270 280 285 290 300 and 350
So I should be running a 280 you think?