FMF Fatty Wont Reach!!

FaH-S.A

Feb 25, 2010
South Africa (Durban)
www.facebook.com
Hi guys. I have a problem. My fmf fatty pipe doesn't reach the bolt on the top of the frame under the gas tank. When the pipe is in the flange the top wont reach the hole to get bolted. Instead, It's being held by A cable tie. :eek: I removed the whole pipe and the silencer and tried re hooking it up and theres no way its gonna reach that hole. The joiner from the pipe to the silencer is fine but that hole on the top of the frame for the mount on the fatty pipe doesnt reach, and the pipe shakes and vibrates while i ride because its being held by a cable tie X(

What should i do? The pipe is just made wrong! FMFX(X(X(X(

you need a stock pipe hanger, it's a 2 piece steel bracket with rubber in between to dampen vibrations
hangs down about an 1 1/2"

I had this same reaction when I first tried fitting my FMF. Turns out I just needed to adjust the angle a little bit and then the stock pipe hanger lined up to the tab on the pipe for me.

Try fiddling around with the head pipe WITHOUT THE SILENCER to see if you can make it line up. Once the head pipe lines up, then you can make the silencer fit by bending the mounting tabs a little bit as needed.

Good luck!

I had this same reaction when I first tried fitting my FMF. Turns out I just needed to adjust the angle a little bit and then the stock piper hanger lined up to the tab on the pipe.

Try fiddling around with the head pipe WITHOUT THE SILENCER to see if you can make it line up. Once the head pipe lines up, then you can make the silencer fit by bending the mounting tabs a little bit as needed.

Good luck!

Thanks dude! I tried that and it was frustrating because it would never line up for me. Took off the silencer as well and still cant get it! And its causing some sh*tty vibrations the whole pipe shakes! :(

IDEA :::: is there no way that i can extend that stock pipe hanger attached to the frame? Could i get an extra piece of steel, mount it to the hanger and then attatch the pipe mounting to the extended piece?

Sure.....I don't see why not. But obviously you'd be better off getting it to fit as intended. From what I've read, FMF's are not known for sh*tty fitment.....so I'd take a break for a few hours and then go at it again (which is what worked for me).

IDEA :::: is there no way that i can extend that stock pipe hanger attached to the frame? Could i get an extra piece of steel, mount it to the hanger and then attatch the pipe mounting to the extended piece?

yes,
you are missing the pipe hanger, it is not intended to fit to the frame mount, only with the hanger installed, a home made one should do it

I find it very odd that it your header doesn't line up - the FMF's usually fit quite well. Have you loosened the hanger a bit where it bolts onto the frame so you can line it up with the header tab? Here's what the hanger looks like:
$(KGrHqQOKpME5kvSr(fzBOleUrp!0Q~~60_12.JPG

If its still not lining up - maybe the tab on the header is a just a little bent and needs to be straightened out slightly (pliers / vise-grips / big shifter). It shouldn't need more than that...

Get it right - cable ties are good solutions for many problems, but certainly not for securing exhausts!

Reactions: Blaner
the pipe is not "made wrong" if you removed it, it was obviously fitting before. try getting it on with out the silencer as Piezzi mentioned.

if you have the hanger, loosen the bolt which attaches it to the frame so it can swivel around a bit as Teflon said.

stick the silencer on LAST

That is what i did with my Power pros pipe!

THE PIPE IS MADE WRONG. I am not blind. Tried everything there is. Until i get an extended piece its hangin wif a spring and 2 cable ties. The tab on the pipe will never reach the tab on the frame. But funny cos my friend with the exact same pipe fits perfect. FMF is sh*tty dont recommend it. Pro Circuit FTW

what i did here was seperate one side of the stock hanger from the rubber piece. then I drilled a hole through both of them in the corner where the bracket is at it's longest it can possibly be. put a bolt through it. and bolt her up. I have had to do that with two different aftermarket pipes. trinity and bills

ehb4lj.jpg

2nm2gza.jpg

Look dude take some galvinized metal ribbon "strapping materiel they use for chain link fences" with holes in it get a piece of rubber maybe from and old tire drill holes in the rubber for a m6 or m8 whatever the bolt is to reduce friction and give it play like when jumping,sandwich the rubber in between the strapping materiel to the frame or pipe or both..... if the pipe is rigid you will end up up breaking the tab off the fmf

THE PIPE IS MADE WRONG. I am not blind. FMF is sh*tty dont recommend it. Pro Circuit FTW

There's nothing wrong with the FMF's - we have never had a problem with fitment of them and the offer good bang for buck. Don't slate the product before you've checked out your facts first!:)

Teflon, i need one of those in ur pic! Looks perfect! I Have it held by 2 thick cable ties and its not moving anymore. Think its fine like that!! Until i get that hanger

You're obviously missing this part - if u fitted the the Fatty yourself, it might still be attached to your stock header from when you unbolted it from the frame. But here's the part No: 565-14771-00-00 if its MIA and you need to order a new one from Yamaha... Alternatively fab-up a nice little bracket as the guys have mentioned - cable ties are not the answer...

There's nothing wrong with the FMF's - we have never had a problem with fitment of them and the offer good bang for buck. Don't slate the product before you've checked out your facts first!

dude its my 2nd blaster and first one wif an fmf. How am i supposed to know that the hanger is missing?? I never knew they needed a hanger thought they bolt right up to the frame.