flywheel removal

Arnold

Jun 29, 2012
Brattleboro, vt
OK so I have a lil problem, I was working on taking my engine apart today and when I went to pull the flywheel I stripped the threads. How can I get it off and is there any way of fixing the treads?

Is it the threads inside the flywheel where the puller screws i?

If you cannot use a puller one may have to resort to drastic measures, like cold chisels, screwdrivers and very big hammers, <<<<(but I did not type that).

Yeah its the threads inside the flywheel that the puller screws into that is stripped. So there is no way to fix the threads other then buying a new one is there?

You could did them if you had a tap and die threading set mic the stud with a good quality micrometer you could tilt it up and rethread it its not complicated I do it a lot at my votech class

Those are left hand threads, not found in common T & D set. For Everyones Info, back center bolt out so puller will bottom out into Fwheel, then run bolt in.

You can’t repair the threads with a tap while it’s installed on the crankshaft unless you have the correct tap with a hole in the center. You can try to use your puller to get past the stripped threads and into some solid ones deeper down. Another option is to carefully tap the two smaller holes on the face and use a harmonic balancer puller and a couple of bolts. I think 3/8 / 24 threads will work. Make sure you don’t hit the stator with the tap or bolts if you try this.

Yeah I was thinking that ken, good advice I am going to give that a try and let you all know how it goes. Hopefully it works smoothly so I don't have to buy a new flywheel and I can use this one again seeing how when I'm done and put it back together I don't plan on taking it back apart anytime soon.