first blaster rebuild.. jetting question

bbbdaddy11

Feb 17, 2014
man this forum rules!! always learning somethin which just leads to more questions.. so long story short.. wiseco piston 66.50mm installed after following KOR porting video to a T.. head was lapped & installed w/o the head gasket.. paul turner pipe w/ dg silencer. 5/16 reed spacer after the reeds(bigger carb is coming) air box lid off for now(uni pod on the way also) 12/40 gears w/ stock carb. my question is: what should my jetting be before i even start my heat cycles??

i also just sent a flywheel to be lightened & a different head to be rechambered to KOR and plan on getting some dual stage reeds real soon.. how much different will the jetting be then?! i probly wont get another carb anytime soon either unless a smokin deal falls in my lap.. and will it scream that much more if i + the timing also?! so many questions..lol any help here would be much appreciated..thanks!!

Prolly do not need a bigger carb for the mods, stock one will do just fine.

Reed spacer plate and reeds do not change the breathing, so no change in jetting.

Reed spacer will move the power to come on at an earlier point on the pipe.

Not sure on the Paul Turner but at a guess #260 - #270.

Take off the air box lid and add two sizes.

The Pod air cleaner will need at least another 2 sizes up.

So we are looking at a #310 main with the Pod.

Needle on middle clip.
Advancing the timing will not produce any more power but it will move the power down to come on at a lower rev.

head was lapped & installed w/o the head gasket..??

Did I read it correct, you are not using a head gasket, I fear you are tempting providence.

i am not running a head gasket mainly because i was saving it for when my rechambered head is done from KOR. and i read somewhere that its okay this way since its air cooled and theres no fear of coolant leaking anywhere and it would basically just give me more hp because of the new combustion thats happening now.i do, however, respect your opinion and value any advice

i have two different carbs, one with a 230 and the other a 240. so do i need to wait til i order the new jets and they come in to do my heat cycle?! and thanks again for your advice..

Have you turned the engine over yet to make sure that there is ample room for the piston to clear the head?

Have you checked the squish?

Have you thought about the increase in compression needing a higher octane fuel?

It would pay to wait until the new jets arrive, impatience can be an engine killer.

Head gaskets are there for a reason, to stop the pressurised gases from leaking, the soft copper gasket is designed to squash and fill any imperfections between the cylinder and the head.

You cannot use a sealant as a substitute for a head gasket.

Take advice from a silly old fart like me and fit the head with a new gasket before you start the engine, $18 is a good investment.

I would hate a post from you in a few days asking where to find another top end.

i didnt have any solder for the squish test, bit i did spend roughly 3 or so hours + about 10 different grades/sheets of wet/dry sandpaper getting those babies Perfect!! i will take your advice tho and just wait for my other parts and order different jets now. so Now.. i still have the same set up only add a rechambered head and a lightened flywheel to the mix!! which jets should i be ordering and is the good expensive premium gas going to work.. or no..

No need for good expensive premium gas.

As for jets see post 3.

When I fitted a re-chambered head I actually had to decrease the main jet one size, I am not saying that will be the same for you as there are so many variables.

Plug chop to confirm your jetting choices, to start big is a great idea.

my bad.. so im guessing the lightened flywheel doesnt do anything as far as rejetting is concerned?! and you must go thru a sh*t ton of spark plugs too, huh..lol before the kiddos locked her up, she was bone stock except for the dg silencer and the #240 jet.. so im hoping i see/feel a pretty big difference in power & performance after everything thats been done..lots and lots of hours..so thank you.

Can usually get a good smoke ring on the second attempt, luckily I have many years experience in tuning 2 strokes.

If the mod you perform does not change the airflow, no jet change is needed.