Finnishing bottom end - Tusk crank installer

Davo

Oct 3, 2014
iowa
I have a bottom end I and trying to close. I have noticed the tusk crank installer has m12 at 1.25 thread attachment, But the blaster crank has m12 1.00 threads on the crank.

How well does the tool work with the mismatch?

I have used heat to get me through the crank bearings and installing the crank in the stator case side.

if your puller has the wrong threads, it isn't for a blaster and will not work, and will F up the threads of the crank
it's been a few years since i sold my tusk puller, after using the heat induction method in the KOR vids, the puller just isn't needed any more....at all.

you either need to get the correct puller, or watch the KOR vids again and do it without a puller...........
http://www.blasterforum.com/threads/kor-engine-assembly-vids-no-crank-puller-needed.51169/
(I even named the thread......"NO PULLER NEEDED") :)

I agree. I am having issues getting the inner race of the last crank bearing any hotter than 110 degrees. Thats about all the heat transfer i can muster.

I do not have a puller.
Ken's methods have proven great through the bearing seating and stator side crank seating.

Last edited:
MAPP gas for the torch and a 2" trailer hitch ball to transfer the heat

2" trailer ball hitch.......Great idea. Thanks

How hot am I looking to get the inner race too? I understand the bearing tightening. Is there a ball park temperature the race should measure?

2" trailer ball hitch.......Great idea. Thanks

How hot am I looking to get the inner race too? I understand the bearing tightening. Is there a ball park temperature the race should measure?

I think Ken says a temp in the vid, I think 250-ish ?
when he taught me to do it at his shop, he just had me keep checking for it to tighten up every 10 seconds or so, when it would barely turn (lightly turning the heated dowel with 2 fingers in a welding glove)
it was time to drop the crank in, and has worked for me every time since.
(ken has a piece of 2" x 6" round dowel, I use a trailer ball)

Reactions: Davo