Finally got my $80 Blaster running!

ahlers77

Jul 27, 2010
Franklin,KY
Got my Blaster going 2 days ago & started the break in process but having troubles getting the correct plug color!
I built a leakdown tester & did a test after i got the top end on & found i had a major air leak around the stock reed cage even with a new gasket so I ended up using form a gasket to get it sealed up. Held 6 lbs of pressure for about 5 minutes so thought it was all good. Got it all back together & it fired up the 3rd kick...sounded good & was idling great for the 15 minute heat cycle occasionally blipping the throttle. Let it cool down for 45 minutes & then took it for a 10 minute ride at about 1/4 throttle, did this process like 6 more times till i got to 3/4 throttle but never full throttle. Pulled the plug & it was dark gray & dry so from what the clymers manual says that Ok so i thought it was all good!
Today i rode it for 30 minutes straight & notice it was starting to bog pretty bad above 1/2 throttle so I stopped riding, let it cool down & pulled the plug...same color! Decided to check the trans fluid & it was low. My 14T front sprocket came today so i pulled the stator cover to put it on & noticed oil inside of it...obviously the seal gave out while i was attempting to break it in. Anyways Im kinda freaking out because I have ran it lean the whole time Ive been trying to break it in when I had been misled into thinking gray or tan either way was alright according to the Clymers manual.
Im not gonna ride it anymore til i get the new seal put in but do you guys think this is whats giving me the gray color on the insulator instead of a tan color? The Blaster came with an Fmf fatty & powercore 2 silencer & an Uni filter but had the stock main in it so i put a 280 in it & removed the airbox lid. Also the silencer has no baffle or packing i discovered so is the lack of backpressure a culprit also possibly? The needle is set to stock & the pilot air screw 1 1/2 turns out.
Sorry for the long post, just wanted to give all the info i could so you guys could help me out...thanks!

just spent about 2 hours doing some research on here & think i found the answers i was looking for since no one seemed to wanna give me any opinions...thanks anyways!

i would put the lid on and see what happens, if it still runs good then you need to bump your main up before you take the lid back off. if it runs like crap then your jetting should be close i think i had a 300 in mine with similar mods.