faster

89blaster89

Aug 26, 2011
Pacific northwest, washington
i have a 89 blaster all the upgrades are in my sig i want it to go faster or have more power i was wondering maybe a new air filter??im on a small budget i was thinkin maybe reeds im not sure though im on a like under 60$ budget

Bigger front sprocket will make it faster, an air filter right on the carby mouth and a larger main jet to compensate for extra air flow.

If you want more torque on the bottom end, I my opinion get a lightened flywheel and 14t front sprocket, but it will run you around 75+shipping

If you want more torque on the bottom end, I my opinion get a lightened flywheel and 14t front sprocket, but it will run you around 75+shipping

correct me if im wrong but a lightened flywheel will cause u to lose torque...it will give u alot snappier higher revs due to the less rotational mass thats spinning but sacrifices bottom end torque...big 4x4's use super heavy flywheels to gain that crazy torque

correct me if im wrong but a lightened flywheel will cause u to lose torque...it will give u alot snappier higher revs due to the less rotational mass thats spinning but sacrifices bottom end torque...big 4x4's use super heavy flywheels to gain that crazy torque

No correcting needed... shaving the flywheel reduces rotational mass so the engine can "spin up" faster. At the loss of "torque".

Strokedtater claims everything he has, has a lightened flywheel on it, including his old lady, cell phone, and toothbrush and APPARENTLY he likes it that way.... :p

Personally, I don't like a lightened flywheel except for the things which aren't going to be used. I trail ride my yellow blaster (the one in the avatar) and wouldn't want to lose ANY torque even if it came at the gain of higher revs. I lug around through tight technical trails and sometimes I like to just kinda lightly rev over rough stuff, I don't want to have to clutch the pee out of it to keep those revs up...

To the OP, your best use of that money, is to save it. There isn't one "silver bullet" modification for under $60 that going to make a significant difference. Reeds might make a little throttle response difference, but they're not going to make a huge power gain. A jet kit for removing your airbox lid would help if you haven't done that already but you've already got a pipe on it, I'm assuming you've already jetted it and removed the airbox lid.

Your best bet would be to save up and get a port job and head mod.

My suggestion that no one seems to be hitting on here would be the timing advance mod. all you need to buy is a flywheel holder tool and a flywheel puller. You can get these for about 30 bux on rockymountainatv.com. I will try to find you a link real quick

http://www.rockymountainatvmc.com/p...&webTypeId=203&webCatId=17&prodFamilyId=17329

http://www.rockymountainatvmc.com/p...tle=Tools/Shop&webCatId=22&prodFamilyId=18289

http://www.blasterforum.com/do-yourself-20/diy-4-degree-timing-advance-pics-2417/

I got my puller for 15 shipped on egay.

My all stock expect no airbox lid and jetted is no comparison to my piped and filtered blaster i didnt realize that tell i got a stock blaster but a pipe and filter really make a difference. Cant say much about other things but porting seems like it really gains some power i would do the timing mod i havent got around to doing mine yet.

I got a pod filter with outa wears ill sell ya pm me.

I believe that advancing the timing is only going to give a little more low/mid power. I recently advanced from +3 to +4 and noticed that the top end fell off quite noticeably.

I might add that I run a DMC Alien pipe which is designed to work in the low/mid range.

Last edited:
More power with no money screams port me! Go to the Library get all the old 2 stroke tuning/porting books you can find. Then double check your numbers with online new stuff. there are many port calculators online. Some people might crunch the numbers for you if you know what ur talking about.

you can have the head cut or redesigned for some more power. i would only reccomend this if you can run at least 93 octane gas. but you will notice a difference with the reworked head and 3 or 4 degress advanced ignition timing.