Faster Blaster drag races

Oct 8, 2011
nova scotia
ok so im not quite at the level of catching the Banshee...:pYETT. thats a good workin 400ex nose to nose with the blaster tho. Keep in mind this is a sand pit an i have less then 1/4 tread left on my back tires, the 400ex banshee and ktm all have good tires over 3/4 tread.

Thats Best's 2003 Ktm300sx with a exc lighting setup. he built the complete bike himself from various ktm parts and it is bone stock. one hell of a bike extream hp/tq and as light if not lighter then most 250's he is very much toying with the banshee in this and still pulls ahead.

The banshee is bone stock and works very well, the 400ex has a full aftermarket exhaust and jets.

im running a 15/40 gearing with 22' rear tires with poor traction, max speed around 100kpm/60mph. most recient work i did to this blaster was stuff the intake ports to improve response and lowend. i would have to say it worked pretty damn good as you can see did not lose any topend.
http://www.blasterforum.com/engine-mods-swaps-129/improving-velocity-48827/

keep in mind im running stock carb, Timing, Bore/Stroke, airbox with lid testing them comes later still have tricks of the trade.I:I

Just thought this was neat shows what an "almost stock" blaster can do when you change the setup on a stock motor.

Last edited by a moderator:
yea i really liked the 15 tooth this motor has a strong mid range an with stock gearin i found too much tire spin. with the 22' tires its abit too high speed im only getting outa 4th in this video, with the 18' razer mx's i have its a goood ratio

I'm telling you, get some real tires on that thing, at the right psi and maybe a better length swingarm and you will play with the big boys.
You have NO traction. You lost everything in the jump, as did the 400 with his poor tires.
Your machine spins at will. Actually it spins against my will. You need traction.
Do I have to get my big red letters?

All the power in the world won't matter if you cannot connect it to the ground.
If the front wheels don't lift at least a couple inches and hold there, you are not connecting.

And it won't cost you a couple grand...

lol watchin it again you can really see at the end it looks like the banshee is gonna pull in the end but you can litrally hear that 300 give off 3 last bursts that shoots it ahead. im almost off the gas comin over the line. i gotta get better tires and retry some launchs. mark my words Banshee passing will happen in time

lol watchin it again you can really see at the end it looks like the banshee is gonna pull in the end but you can litrally hear that 300 give off 3 last bursts that shoots it ahead. im almost off the gas comin over the line. i gotta get better tires and retry some launchs. mark my words Banshee passing will happen in time

Buy some tires homeboy.

cool vid!!! i was impressed that the 400ex even kept up as well as it did! lol. you cant really tell from the vid, who got holeshot???

Banshee, followed by 400, Triplecrown spinning out, I waited back to watch, knowing I was playing with an unfair hand and could reel them in.
My bike is the tinny high pitched rap. You can hear me hitting it in taps to catch up and stay even with the Banshee.
The Banshee is mint and Brett is a good rider.

That was a second run, Triplecrown used 2nd to start away because 1st was useless with no traction.
It still spun and dug holes starting in 2nd with tall gears and tall tires. No good.

Fun run. We kept going for another couple hours, coming home in the dark.
Banshee doesn't like rocks and woods trails too much. It rocks on logging roads however. Sweet sounding machine.

yea nice vid! you need some mild paddles and a longer swinger for that type of play ground. with better tires you would have killed that 400ex

Strange but cool race haha.
Before I watched it I figured the dirtbike would kill everything but was surprised to see the shee do so well- until the end.
He prolly missed a shift they don't shift for crap under modified power.

Strange but cool race haha.
Before I watched it I figured the dirtbike would kill everything but was surprised to see the shee do so well- until the end.

The bike will kill everything. It weighs half the weight of either of the two bigger quads. I hung back on the start to watch launches, shot from behind to up alongside the Banshee. You can hear it coming off and on power to stay even with Banshee to gauge how it works. I was just there to watch, not really part of the race.

While the bike may be great for trails and a drag race, it sucked in the dry sand.
Sure wish I had my Blaster instead. KTM Blaster is getting work, getting same motor as this bike. I'll post a thread.

yea as best stated he was not trying at all, that last jump at the end that the 300 made was probobly a 1/4 throttle tap trust me those sx300 ktms are FAST. like make a 450r dirtbike look slow, like 130+kph sitdown wheelies

the banshee is not modified at all fully stock with holeshot tires on back. i was running my bad tires. i know with my half decent holeshots i can give that banshee a better run and leave that 400ex behind.
i know one thing if i ever wanted a "faster quad" it wouldnt be a 400ex. sapprised me as to how much they dont put out.

The 400ex is a pretty good riding bike. It's frame is based off the legendary 250r.
If your used to riding a 2 stroke then you'll notice the powerband is boring but it just keeps pulling.
For around 5k service honda will upgrade your 400ex to a 250r.

Yea thats true the 400ex is full of grunt and has a much different powerband then a modded blaster.

Thats cool I didnt know that could done. Would they just use a cr250 motor?