extended stock swingarm carnage

Awk08

Administrator
Staff member
Technician
Jan 30, 2009
yep, just as i've always preached, here's yet another extended stock swingarm cracked in numerous places.
none of the cracks are anywhere near the extension, nor where any welding heat could have effected the areas that are cracked, more than likely due to the stress from the added leverage extending puts on stamped sheet metal swingarm, that is junk from the get go.

this swingarm came on my black bike, it does not get jumped big or ridden 1/2 as hard as i ride my white blaster, by me, or anyone I allow to ride it.
it appeared to be extended better than any i've ever seen hacked together by anyone on here.

it has multiple cracks on the front X cross brace, and on the stock shock mount cross brace, which is no longer used.....

n5n1pv.jpg

afk0ah.jpg

and here's the band-aids on the bullet wounds,
bubble gummed on 3/16" plate with my stick welder, trying to not burn thru the thin sheetmatel of the swinger .........

5f5dma.jpg

15zwbl.jpg

i didn't care what it looked like or how strong the band-aid was, as this bike MAY get ridden gently until a new swingarm can get ordered,
and this death trap swinger will be going to the scrap yard

i'll state it again for those who haven't seen me speak the truth before...
someone is going to end up seriously hurt or killed on these extended stock stamped steel garbage swingers !!!!

Yea I had a stock extended. But filled it end to end with 1x2 quarter thick . didn't have many problems. But I just built a custom one from scratch with the carrier flange and the swing arm bushing tubes. It hasent had a problem yet and its a 7+ swingarm

Seeing how u are talking about the stock junk swing arm, when I stripped mine to paint it I had a few cracks on mine and its stock length. I drilled the ends of the cracks and had it welded to prevent it from getting worse

I'm running a +2 extended stocker. I put square tubing in both sides of the cut to fill the area, then welded it up, then put 1/4" plate on the outsides and welded it on. I've got some very hard riding on it with no issues. even some 4th gear jumps along some fast trails. i do keep a regular check on it for cracks tho. Will be racing a harescramble on it labor day weekend, i'd say thats the ultimate test lol.

Does adding the extended swing arm change the stability of handling in the turns? Just curious because I have tossed around the idea of doing that but have never ridden one that's been extended. Kinda torn though, I love the short wheelbase, great for wheelies, with my latest modds and fine tuning, mine power wheelies up pretty easy now.

Last edited:
An extended swinger makes for easier setting up of jumps, as the extra length has power to the ground for a longer period after the fronts take flight.

One can attack the apex with greater power as the length tends to keep the front down, therefore one can approach with greater gusto.

In flight correction by throttle/brake has to be repolished as the extra length tends to make the bikes rotational response a little sluggish.

The extra length in corners allows one to sit more rearward and put more weight over the rear wheels which can add more traction.