exhaust packing

giantvt104

Jan 6, 2012
deer park, ny
I searched around on here and found a good amount of threads on exhaust packing. My question though i couldnt figure out. basically is the stock blaster silencer supposed to have packing in it. cause when i removed my end cap there was nothing inside :-/ ? also if its supposed to what is the best one and way to install? thanks guys..

ok that makes sense.. when i pulled the cap off i was like what?? Hmm nothing there.... so there is just no packing at all in them? what do they do for smoke/oil and backpressure?

The silencer has either packing or baffles between the inner walls and the outside of the silencer, you can see how thick it is where the end cap bolts onto. If you look closely at the front of the muffler on the inside, there is a piece of metal which directs the airflow towards the outside walls of the muffler. The piece of pipe on the inside of the end cap also helps to muffle and keep backpressure.

There is no packing in a stock muffler, the noise is supressed by routing the gases around by using baffles and creating back pressure.

Do not try to use a stock muffler with an after market pipe as they require little or no back pressure to operate.