Engine Wont Start--- Need Help

Regg1000

May 15, 2020
Hello Guys,

I became a new blaster owner on Tuesday. I got the bike and rode it very briefly. The compression seemed good (judging by the kicker), clutch seemed good, idle sounded "knocky"and low. After that day, the bike sat in my garage for about 3 days without starting.

Today when I went to start it, it would start but as soon as I kick it into first gear the engine immediately dies. I waited 3 hours to start it again, and it seems like now it barely wants to start and idle. It will start up if I give it some gas, but it'll die if I take my thumb off the gas. Please help me troubleshoot this problem. All advice will help.

Thank you

You can unscrew the choke valve and clean it . check the oring also. It might need to be replaced?

I got the bike from a guy, physically the bike was in bad shape. Heres a few things I'm going to try.
1. Turn the idle up.
2. Clean the carburetor
3. Drain the old gas, put new gas.
4. Drain the oil put new oil.

What kind of oil do you recommend? And how do you go about mixing the gas? Thanks for your support.

I got the bike from a guy, physically the bike was in bad shape. Heres a few things I'm going to try.
1. Turn the idle up.
2. Clean the carburetor

What kind of oil do you recommend? And how do you go about mixing the gas? Thanks for your support.

First, does it still have the oil injection? As for mix oil you can’t go wrong with Yamalube 2s, wether injection or pre mix .
As to hard start/no run, you’ve got a good list going, add a new plug in there. How’s the spark? Fat blue or lazy yellow?
When cleaning the carb blow compressed air through ALL passages. Remove main and pilot jet, write down the numbers for future reference. Remove main jet holder/emulsion tube and make sure side holes are clean. You MUST be able to see through all jets and emulsion tube. Set float, needle in middle clip.
Clean air filter. Check silencer for mouse nest.
List any modifications that you know of, filter, air box, pipe. These and jet numbers will help diagnose problems. Make sure TORS brain is disconnected, it’s the only 3 wire plug under the hood, IF it’s a pre 03 model. If it’s 03-06 you’ll have to search for it.

First, does it still have the oil injection? As for mix oil you can’t go wrong with Yamalube 2s, wether injection or pre mix .
As to hard start/no run, you’ve got a good list going, add a new plug in there. How’s the spark? Fat blue or lazy yellow?
When cleaning the carb blow compressed air through ALL passages. Remove main and pilot jet, write down the numbers for future reference. Remove main jet holder/emulsion tube and make sure side holes are clean. You MUST be able to see through all jets and emulsion tube. Set float, needle in middle clip.
List any modifications that you know of, filter, air box, pipe. These and jet numbers will help diagnose problems. Make sure TORS brain is disconnected, it’s the only 3 wire plug under the hood, IF it’s a pre 03 model. If it’s 03-06 you’ll have to search for it.

Hi Larry I'll add the TORS disconnection to the list. Also, the bike is blowing white smoke, I think the gas to oil ratio is off. I'm gonna drain it all out and add a new fresh mix.

Also, I know where the air screw (right side, right before the air box) and main jet (inside carburetor) is on the carburetor. Wheres the pilot screw?

New TroubleShoot List
1. Turn the idle up.
2. Clean the carburetor
4. Drain the oil put new oil. (Yamalube 2s)
***Start the engine
5. Disconnect TORS start again.

1. Turn the idle up.
2. Clean the carburetor

Are you sure the factory oil injection is no longer being used?oil tank under rear fender/seat. Oil. Line going in passenger side of carb?if no oil line on passenger side is the nipple on carb pluged off with a vacuum plug ? Asking because you dont want to be premixing your gas if it is hooked up and working. Got to be one or the other.
Ratio is 32:1. On these. That's 4oz oil per 1 gal gas. Any good premix oil.thought i posted this acouple hours ago oppps

1. The factor oil injection is not being used. It takes premixed. The nipple is plugged. However, I'll inspect it further when I take the carb out and clean it.
2. I changed the spark plug, and there was blue spark, it started up better.
3. The air filter was cleaned.

Lastly, I know the main jet is inside the carburetor. Wheres the pilot jet located?

There’s a small round hole towards the from of the carb. Jet is about 3/8” down, need small straight screwdriver. Remove main jet and main jet washer, push emulsion tube into bore of carb. There’s little holes on the side of it that must be clear