Engine Re-Build Questions

Holtergeist

Apr 17, 2015
Baldwinsville, N.Y.
Hey everybody I have a few questions with my rebuild and looking for your guy's always helpful opinions and insight now that I have to rebuild it because my piston broke.......originally I was told the blaster was .40 over and had a real oil block off kit on but come to find out not so much. Stock as can be and no oil block off just hobbled together.

Does anybody have any ideas as to what would cause a spark plug to strip and shoot out the top of the head? I somehow pretty much blew it up.

I bought new vitos 2 stage reeds already new oil seals and some maxima super m. Has the tors delete done to it. I'm getting new jets just need a good idea of what kind. It has fmf gold series pipe and fmf power core two muffler

so I had the cylinder bored a size up from stock 66.5 mm. What would be a good gasket set cometic is the only name I really see recommended so do I just get stock size? because I can't find and 66.5 mm sets

And what kind of jets are best I heard the fmf kits are junk from a couple friends they never have what you need in them

is vitos the only ones who sell a +3 crank?

What kind of lube should I get for the crank case?

What kinds of clutches would you recomend?

Next question...does anybody make a set of hydraulic brakes for pre-03 blasters? I heard out can McGyver brakes from a crotch rocket if your handy.

This winter I'm planning on getting the stroker crank and a good port and polish job from micro-bore here in syracuse. I'm planning on ordering a new head because the spark plug blew put the top and stripped out I got a heli coil for it but idk ow much I want to trust it.

Thanks in advance guys!

Attachments

• 20150704_162745.jpg
    20150704_162745.jpg
    579.8 KB · Views: 186
the spark plug hole stripped out of the head because some monkey over torqued the plug. and im hoping you had your cylinder bored to match your new oversided piston?? for jets go for oem or i personally use the pro-x jets from Rocky Mountain atv. and vitos is the only company that has the +3 crank, and tusk clutches are good and affordable but whatever you do DONT use the belray gear saver in the trans, if you do youll be shopping for a clutch very soon. i use atf type f works good and very cheap

Hot Rods makes a +3 and a +4.

I use Belray gear saver in all my Banshees and Blasters and have not had any clutch problems.

People who use cheap ATF change it after every ride.

Actually the helicoil is better that the original threads, just fix the head and use it.

Id love to know how heli coils got such a bad rap if done right there better than stock. Aircraft use them alot and just for the reason of strength and I use belray gear saver as well 2 seasons no issues at all so far
Do you guys ever wonder if they'll come up with an oil that everyone will agree on is the best to use ?

whatever you do DONT use the belray gear saver in the trans, if you do youll be shopping for a clutch very soon.

Who the hell told you this??? Absolutely and completely wrong! Great oil! The atf also works good.
Some of the sh&t I read on here blows my mind. Bad oil? yeah right. Get educated. don't be a moron.

Anyway ....
That engine dropped a skirt on the piston. If you haven't already done it, I would HIGHLY recommend disassembling the case and check for case and bearing damage. Don't guess that everything is ok.

Cometic and factory OEM gaskets are the best! I prefer oem base gaskets.
"Maxima Super M" is great stuff! Lots of other good stuff out there too.

That FMF pipe works great! It will work awesome with porting, a re-chambered "Hemi" head, and stock carb.

Make sure you delete the oil injection properly. Either that, or use the oil injection like I do. No troubles what so ever.

Leak test that engine when your done. Do a proper break in, and be sure to warm that forged piston up before you ride. If you don't warm it up, you'll get that ultra groovy "four corner seizure.

Talking about what the best oil is would be like opening a can of worms..

In reality one oil may be better for one person than another. Different oils work better for certain types of riding. The best 2 stroke oil out there wouldn't suit or put put trail riding.. Castrol A747 or R30,,, it goes bad really really fast (within 2 days I think maybe sooner ?), is pricey and if running it you need to be on the pipe constantly..

Let's not get into the great oil debate I have 4 qts of super m so that's what I'm Rollin with. What I'd really like to know is the difference in gasket sizes..... do I have to order a specific size for a 66.5mm bore or will a stock work fine?

Reactions: Awk08
Let's not get into the great oil debate I have 4 qts of super m so that's what I'm Rollin with. What I'd really like to know is the difference in gasket sizes..... do I have to order a specific size for a 66.5mm bore or will a stock work fine?

Super M ....FTW !!!!!

use the stock gaskets for that bore

Reactions: Holtergeist
Thanks AWK! Know anything about a hydraulic brake conversion for an 01?

you're welcome, and yes I know 2 things about rear hydro brakes.......
1. I know a guy who makes the best bolt on kit ever :)
2. he's way too busy to build any right now, may become just a winter time thing ?
:(

Reactions: jus_me
There is another way . Find the rear caliper for an 03+ Blaster or a Banshee , possibly the right side peg/pedal set up, the master cyl (banshee also and line, and a welder and some bungs and you should be good to go. I believe someone also used the pre 03 peg and pedal but I cant find the thread.

You can easily make a bracket to hold the master or have someone with a bent 03+ frame cut that little piece off and just weld it to your frame after cutting of the existing bracket you have.. I did the same and is was fairly easy..

Sweet thanks guys...I might give it a shot I heard you ca use brakes off a crotch rocket too but I have no idea....AWK winter time wouldn't be too bad I'm planning on doing AWK bunch over the winter would be a nice add on.

but whatever you do DONT use the belray gear saver in the trans, if you do youll be shopping for a clutch very soon. i use atf type f works good and very cheap

Say what?? :confused: :eek: False info here ^^^^
I'm actually switching to Shell Rotella T, proper SM and JASO rating, almost as cheap as ATF. $13 gal at Wally World. Cheaper than WW ATV/MC oil.

Who the hell told you this??? Absolutely and completely wrong! Great oil! The atf also works good.
Some of the sh&t I read on here blows my mind. Bad oil? yeah right. Get educated. don't be a moron.

Anyway ....
That engine dropped a skirt on the piston. If you haven't already done it, I would HIGHLY recommend disassembling the case and check for case and bearing damage. Don't guess that everything is ok.

Cometic and factory OEM gaskets are the best! I prefer oem base gaskets.
"Maxima Super M" is great stuff! Lots of other good stuff out there too.

That FMF pipe works great! It will work awesome with porting, a re-chambered "Hemi" head, and stock carb.

Make sure you delete the oil injection properly. Either that, or use the oil injection like I do. No troubles what so ever.

Leak test that engine when your done. Do a proper break in, and be sure to warm that forged piston up before you ride. If you don't warm it up, you'll get that ultra groovy "four corner seizure.
I was speaking from experience. I glazed up a almost brand new tusk hd clutch in my blaster and yes it was adjusted correctly, but what do I know I'm a uneducated moron.

Reactions: Awk08
Would super m be ok for break-ins? And I read through all the threads about air filters and what not so I'm going to go with the uni filter and an outerwear box cover. Where's the best place to find jets for a stock carb? Or should I go up a size or 2 with a bigger carb?

The oil you choose to ride with is suitable for the break in period.

One should never change oils as some oils do not like to mix with each Other!

The stock 26mm carb is the best one to use with the FMF as it is a low/mid pipe and will perform very well with it!