Engine not running right???

Cnrcpla

Aug 16, 2010
I just bought a project 2002 yamaha blaster to race. I got a new top end as the final thing to get it running. It already had a really cool exaust system that makes it sound like a drag car, or just really loud. But after breaking in the top end I realized it didn't like hills. In any gears. But I thought I found the problem, the exaust wasn't completely on, so I tightened it and took it for a ride. At first it did that thing where a two stroke isn't warmed up yet, but it never stopped doing that! Even after 10 minutes of riding time it still sounded like it wasn't warmed up. I know it isn't the after market exaust because other than the hill problem it performed fine. So please help me!!! Any advise would be great!

First of all, Welcome to the forum. What kinda exhaust is it? FMF, Pro Circuit, Toomey, Shearer, DMC? (theres more) The pipe should say on it. ONce you find out, let us know and we can tell you what migght be wrong. Im thinking its jetting...

Um... I'm not sure what kind if exaust it is. It looks kind of old and it doesn't say on it, or maybe it did at on point in time, but it works really well. One of the things I was thinking is that maybe there is something wrong with the choke? Always being on? That might explain the hesitance for hills. How do I tell if the choke isn't working the right way?

I'm pretty sure it is aftermarket because I don't know of any stock pipe that sounds like this, but it is all blackish if that is the origional color, and it is very thick. It has alot of bends. I don't think it can be compression I just broke in a new top end and it is still stiff to kick. It has a fat blue spark and a new spark plug and ignition coil. I don't get how it can run fine with the pipe hanging halfway off but then I tighten it down and now I get this problem hahaha

The only pipe i know that is black, is a stock one, Take a picture of it and let us see if its a stocker or not. I always thought the stock pipe sounded good...

I did check the link that you posted it was quite long and I skimmed over it, but noting that would signify something that is causing this. And I am posting all this from my iPod and I don't know how to get pictures on this. But back to the choke malfunctioning, what would be signs of the choke always on? I can take the carb off no problem but if the choke isn't the problem I would rather not take it off

so what's the air filter look like? is there anything in the pipe blocking it up a little bit? did you re-torque the cylinder head and base nuts during break in?

I re Torqued all the bolts down, the air filter is clean, And there is something in my mysterious perhaps after market pipe. I don't know what it is but it rattles around in there when I took the pipe off. I know how it got in there, it was there when I got it, but it won't just fall out. How do I get it out? And is this maybe the problem?

take the airbox lid off and see what happens... if it runs better you are too rich and need to drop your main jet. if it still runs the same look else wheres lol new plug?

Well I think I'm going to try to take that out of the exaust. It makes sence though. When it was hanging half off the exaust had a place to go, but since I tightened it down it has no where to go. Any advise for getting what ever it is out?

Well I think I'm going to try to take that out of the exaust. It makes sence though. When it was hanging half off the exaust had a place to go, but since I tightened it down it has no where to go. Any advise for getting what ever it is out?

wtf dude??? am i talking to myself or something??? why ask for help then completely disregard the suggestions? :-/ :-/