Elisnore 250

Blasterman16

Jul 24, 2012
Nj
I just got a elisnore 250 motor of Ebay and I have a few blaster frame Im going to put the engine in on of the frames . Is that a good idea ? The elsinore have 29 hp.

i dont think ive heard of the swap, did you try searching? if youve got the fab skills i say go for it, its has 1/3 more horse than a stock blaster. so with mods it should fly. biggest problem will most likely be fitting the pipe.

i think its like 18-19hp for a strong stock motor, i could be wrong. but i think its in that ballpark. id have to go look at the dyno graph from the pipe shoot out

I had a 1974 Elsinore 250 this is not it, but pictures of what we are talking about:

3386416507_53dd01913b.jpg
DSC01384.JPG

This guy has an excellent restoration page on ths year bike:
CR250M (1974) | 32:1

Here are the highlights:
Honda-Elsinore-DG250-2.jpg

There were a piston port engine that I recall, NO reed valves, no low end torque:

Honda-Elsinore-DG250-3.jpg

Here you can see where he has added reed valves:

Honda-Elsinore-DG250-90.jpg

I loved this bike, for its day it was awesome, but it was extraordinarily hard on gas, would not idle and low low rpm torque.
My 2000 KTM 125 makes more power and had better low rpm torque and uses 1/2 of the fuel.
Besides, the gearbox was very close ratio, shift forks broke several times and the dogs wore easily.
Sorry to say, I would not recommend it.

Ya better be gettin some big rewards to give up the excellent Blaster gear set ... IMHO

Hear! Hear! I second that opinion.
And having owned one, I know the Elsinore 250 is not that gearset.

Boring an engine out a mm or 2 gains almost nothing in power, maybe 1-2 hp at most.
It is the improvements to combustion pressure that will gain the most. Get a re-chambered head,
And then set the squish distance to just over 1mm. You will nearly double your hp (around 30hp) at a cost of less than $100.

Oh, and learn to jet it before it blows up. Most important.

I think it will work I just need to mod the exsust but my buddy does really good fab work but I can trade the 250 for 480 should I do that ?