dual sports!!!

yzrider

Apr 12, 2009
northwest Indiana
okay, the topic has been brought up before, but i am bringing it up again, i plan on sellin the yz next yr to get a dualsport, my budget will be somewhere under 3 grand... i live in indiana, its not too hard to register a bike from what i'v heard, so i'v considered converting a wr450 or a crf450x to be street legal... i don't have to pass any emissions tests where i live... my other options are a drz400s, drz400e that is converted, a yamaha wr250r, a kawasaki klx or klr 650, or a suzuki dr 650.. i am in love with Beta, ktm and Husqvarna dual sports but cannot afford any of them... i need a fairly nible bike that is really powerful and can be used on lots of trails and rough off road, but still can make a daily 3 mile commute to school, and a 20+ mile commute every other day to friends houses and stuff like that...

also, i was thinkin about amybe buyin a kdx 200 or 220 and gettin it plated, would be a 2 stroke, i can get em for 1500 or so around here, lotsa good mods to do to em, i could prolly make a really nice dual sport outta one... but i think i might go for a 4 stroke... it'll be easier with no pre-mix and stuff like that....

I've been thinking about a dual sport myself, had to sell my CBR about a year ago and my wife has forbidden me from getting another sport bike LOL. I've ridden a klr 650 and didn't really care for it off-road. The DRZ's are awesome IMO, ill probally end up getting one.

I've been thinking about a dual sport myself, had to sell my CBR about a year ago and my wife has forbidden me from getting another sport bike LOL. I've ridden a klr 650 and didn't really care for it off-road. The DRZ's are awesome IMO, ill probally end up getting one.

drz's are amazing, i'm kinda stuck between a drz400s or a dr650...

I'm prolly gonna go with the 400 cuz ill most likely spend a lot of time off-road with it and they're way lighter and more nimble than the 650's. But if I was gonna be on the highway more often it'd be the 650 hands down.

I'm prolly gonna go with the 400 cuz ill most likely spend a lot of time off-road with it and they're way lighter and more nimble than the 650's. But if I was gonna be on the highway more often it'd be the 650 hands down.

u know, i just did a lil reading up and thinking and i came to the same conclusion, i think i'm gonna go for the drz400s or drz400e, whichever i can get, there are a couple 3's that have been made street legal for sale in my area, the e is just lighter weight...

i've got 2 and really love the ktm for sure. search long and hard and you will eventually find one. me personally don't go the 650 route. stick with a lighter ,smaller machine and upgrade if your heading to the woods. the 650's are great for city commutes but are less than stellar in the woods. 400's can be improved greatly and make a all around nice bike. my crf450 is nice but i would'nt take it on the highway. the ktm's (which i currently just bought)beta and husky's are all great bikes and you can't go wrong. i'm still breaking in the 530 but so far i'm really happy

i've got 2 and really love the ktm for sure. search long and hard and you will eventually find one. me personally don't go the 650 route. stick with a lighter ,smaller machine and upgrade if your heading to the woods. the 650's are great for city commutes but are less than stellar in the woods. 400's can be improved greatly and make a all around nice bike. my crf450 is nice but i would'nt take it on the highway. the ktm's (which i currently just bought)beta and husky's are all great bikes and you can't go wrong. i'm still breaking in the 530 but so far i'm really happy

i'm gonna go for a drz 400 or a wr250r, i;d like to convert a dirtbike, but i don't have the cash :( my yz is already up on cl, right now its only for a trade, which i doubt will happen, but at the end of summer the dirtbike is gettin sold and i'm buyin a drz 400 if i havn't traded yet

yeah if plan on converting i had around $500 in everything on my crf. easy to do but takes more time with the paperwork than anything