Dt parts blaster build

Oct 8, 2011
nova scotia
bike is barly togeather this video is of the first start i dident even know if it would or not, the silencer fell off on first start so i bungied it back.
no water in it i used a blaster side case cuz my dt one needed a waterpump seal. bike is rough i bought it almost a year ago for parts for my bike and just recintly desided to build it. ive been hard on it for a few days and its almost complete now. i wanted to do a build thread but honestly i cant update as fast as im buildin. i ended up using a blaster bottom end that i split and replaced seals bearings. then used a dt top. i already have a rad and hose setup because i tryed this on my first blaster. ill have another video of it complete i should have it finished today.

Last edited by a moderator:
bike is done got some videos of the bike heres the completed picctures

358owbd.jpg

2hxsj6a.jpg

11hz4g9.jpg

18nnuq.jpg
[/IMG]

Man, that is some messy garage, how do you do any work in there? and why do you have seatbelts on your couch? :)

Was out for a ride with Neil today. He wouldn't let me ride it, selfish bugger!
The bike hauls butt. It is a screamer. He played with the power valve, running it open and closed.
I do believe "open" was his favoured position!

Man, that is some messy garage, how do you do any work in there? and why do you have seatbelts on your couch? :)

Was out for a ride with Neil today. He wouldn't let me ride it, selfish bugger!
The bike hauls butt. It is a screamer. He played with the power valve, running it open and closed.
I do believe "open" was his favoured position!

lol spending 5 days straight making that garage a mess and buildin this darn bike i wanna atleast spend one drivein er;). somethin tells me this will be your ride when were compairing to my other :p youll have your fun wot then

whips around pretty good! Any idea how it compares power wise to a blaster engine?

Big write up here:
http://www.blasterforum.com/engine-mods-swaps-129/dt200-blaster-ktm250-power-comparison-45326/

This is not exactly the same engine, but same head and cylinder, and the weather is better now.
Short answer is this engine makes almost double the hp at a slightly higher rpm range.
It has a functioning but non-automatic powervalve that can lower the RPM range of the powerband, giving
increased low rpm torque (perhaps still less than the Blaster), but at the expense of peak hp (still more than a Blaster).

At least these are my very limited impressions from very limited seat time because someone was hogging the ride to themselves! :)
As the wheelie and freestyle hill carving vids would indicate, it really livens up the Blaster.
DT200 engine seems more like a motocrosser in nature, bursting into life "on the pipe".

ya the only real difference the dt motor and blaster motor have apart from the liquid coolin and powervalve is port timeing and head design. this gives your blaster motor 30+ hp so think of that next time modding the next blaster motor. this shows where the blaster motor was detuned.

Dang, Boogieman, that gif is like soooo distracting...
---- I don't know why but I can't stop staring...

so this dt what is that the yamaha dirtbike motor? and liquid cooled?

It is a Yamaha DT200 street and trail motorbike sold in Canada, Australia and most of the rest of the world except for the USA. The 1980s model has almost the exact same motor as the Blaster, only it has different gearing, is water cooled, has an electronically controlled powervalve, and makes 31hp. With minor work the cylinder and waterpump will swap into a Blaster. BANG! 31hp screamer and absolute reliability on pump gas.

2004%5C04%5C06%5Cbikepics-131569-320.jpg

2010%5C03%5C18%5Cbikepics-1929533-320.jpg

thats what i thought some guy her locally bought a bottomend from me said he was going to use it on his dt . told him i did not know if it would work but he said his mechanic said it would so i said cool give it a try and tell me how it works out . so i guess it will.

so you just swap out the topend from the dt? what do you use for the radiator and waterpump

The rad, hoses, and waterpump all came from the 84(?)DT200.
My son hit this project like a hammer, swapped on the DT200 cylinder, waterpump and radiator in about 4 hours.

18nnuq.jpg

His waterpump was a direct swap. He just put the DT200 clutch cover on the Blaster and was good to go.
It has been said here in the forum that there is a drive gear issue with some later models of DT200, but his 1984 DT swapped without problem.

The single rad required a simple mount to fit in place on the right side.
While his has not over heated yet (it is still cold here!), it has run hot.
In all fairness he runs it hard,power on and max revs most of the time.
He may require a second rad when the summer heat comes.
The DT200 is not prone to overheating, but generally rolls easier and faster and has an air catching shroud:

2004%5C04%5C06%5Cbikepics-131569-800.jpg

He bought the parts bike for about $200 with no wiring, but did have a "like new" cylinder and ring.
That picture above was NOT the parts bike by-the-way, just a pict off Google.
The parts bike was a bucket-o-parts!