DR250 Transmission Problem Help

wwholden

Nov 17, 2011
Dayton, Ohio
I picked up a 91 Suzuki DR250 over the weeked for dirt cheap. It has a transmission problem and I would like some input about what you guys might think the problem is before I start tearing it apart. FYI seller thought it was the shifting forks... who knows.

So I get it started and shift down into first gear. Takes off but when I give it a decent amount of throttle it pops out of first gear. I can hold the shifter down while driving it and it will stay in gear. Then the big problem starts when I shift up into 2nd gear. Takes a lot of force to pull it up and then when it finally goes it just locks up the rear tire. Pulling in the clutch doesnt even disengage it. Then I have to play with the shifter a while to get it back into neutral. However I did once get into second gear and was riding it around with no problems. Havent been able to get it to go into second agian though. Keeps locking up the transmission.

Any ideas????? I:I

Sounds like bent shifters, grabbing 2 gears at once.

If first is not fully engaging it will tend to jump out under load.

The shift drum is large clylindrical shaft with slots cut around it, which revolves when the shift lever is moved.

In the slots one end of the shift forks sit. As the drum revolves it moves the fork, which in turn places a gear on which the other end of the fork sits, to the correct position to engage another gear.

If a shift fork is bent it is able to place three gears together, where there should be only two in mesh, this causes a lock up.

Hope that is clear enough for you.