dose anyone ever use vertex piston

randelator

Nov 17, 2007
quebec,canada
i would like your input on vertex piston,like how they hold up etcetc ,and please if you never use it dont replie ,i need serious input , its for a kids engine thats i am rebulding and porting, and the kids wants to put a vertex piston but i dont know them(vertex) i told him to get wiseco pro-lite but he say thats vertex are forged and have a coating etc etc and are half the price of wiseco,but before i rebuilt his engine i just want to have inpute on thats particular piston cause if they are not reliable i dont want him to tell me thats my work dont worth sh*t cause i been doing porting and engine of all quind for more than 10 years i got a reputation so thanks for your valuable imput!!!!!I:II:I

vertex pistons are junk, wiseco is the way to go, but stay very very very far away from vertex pistons, they melt and break easily and i dunno what hes getting at about them being forged and coated, they cast and bare, but they are half the price of wiseco, also noteven 1/100 the quality

now ive never used a vertex piston but ive seen what happens to them, that explains why i never had one...

vertex pistons are junk, wiseco is the way to go, but stay very very very far away from vertex pistons, they melt and break easily and i dunno what hes getting at about them being forged and coated, they cast and bare, but they are half the price of wiseco, also noteven 1/100 the quality

now ive never used a vertex piston but ive seen what happens to them, that explains why i never had one...
well go to there web site its say black on white forged aluminum,and thanks for the imput,by the way i saw a lot of horror story with wiseco too!!!, but vertex , i just dont know,like old1atv say cast is not that bad i saw lots of blaster with 3 year of abuse and still have the stock piston!!! but i need all the impute on vertex before i make my mind and if the are relly no god and the kid want to save well i will told him to get oem!!!

Heres a tip

Bet you a buck with some internet research you can find out who makes the casts. Bet it's China, But, I don't know. Then see who distributes the castings and if any of them are used by reputable companies. If you can wait until the weekend I can probably get some of that for you. Alot of times the cast slugs are sold to machining firms that mill them down to whatever specs some vendor needs. I think they will make more than just little pistons and if any of my vendors have come across them I can get you the details on the metalurgy and the history of the company.

A

yeah i get the point, no i told the kids thats a complete rebuilt and a proffesionaly port jobe take some time but go on vertex web site and read about it , since i am not engliush mayby i misse understood something!!!
www.vertexpistons.com/english.htm and they looke like they are in business since a long time !!!!

Heads up

Found this right off the bat:

http://www.vertexpistonsusa.com/

These folks are not the Italians by the looks of it. May be scammers playing off the name.

The Italian firm has a nice history and access to Yamaha. Looks good at first glance. I would think they are good, the EU uses ALOT of amaller engines and they say they have a 35% market share, that's a sh*t pile of pistons!!

I'm going to bed, I'll do some research over the weekend.

A

First..

If the Vertex has "pro" in the name she is forged

if it doe4sn't she is cast.

Most Vertex pistons are replicas of OEM and therefore cast.

That said, they also do formula one pistons, they have a wide range!!!

I am too lazy to get too technical, but, they make a sh*tload of pistons. They seem to like the Blaster and have a slew pistons for them. They have a f*cked up system of (to me) of knowing what's what.

They have the deal of coated pistons. This is a good thing. This is also for race gas and people who change out the top end a few times a year.

What I have found is OEM replacement pistons. Balanced and uncoated. Flat out drop in replacements.

They have coated forged suckers that are light and mean on the HP. The KART pukes seem to love them. They also rebuild the motor every week. I have found alot of whining that these burn out fairly quick.

Have not found out why a forged and coated piston expires quicker than any other piston yet.

That doesn't ring true, we'll see.

More later.

BTW, Randelator and anyone else. The Vertex site has most of the info on it. They obviuosly don't say "hey this piston sucks and this piston is the sh*t". If you read up on the dirt bikers and KART pukes, the teams that eat pistons, you will see the trend.

All in all, I'd say Wiseco is a better mid range piston. Meaning a stock plug can be had cheap from anywhere, Vertex, Wiseco, Joe sh*thooks ATV parts, whatever. Want a kick ass killer run it only on race day, get the Vertex top of the line, it's a kick ass piston. However if you want a piston that will give good action and not cost too much and last a couple seasons, I'd lean to the Wiseco.

Not that they are better, I'm just being a Jew and nickel for work, my nickels in the Wiseco look to last longer. Won't race for pinks against that flat ass skinny slug that Vertex has though. It's a top notch race piston. That with all the good and bad of a race piston.

Thier cast sh*t looks to be VERY good.

A

oh yea

Rings seem to be "one size fits all". I assume this means file to fit, but not sure.

There are rumors of a recall, maybe, maybe not. Doesn't really matter unless you have one. They make enough lines that it was a small manufacturing glitch.

They may be used in Honda's as OEM, too.

As far as Blasters go, the product line is pretty straight forward and hasn't changed in along time.

They are also seeming to make cyl. for some engines, but appear to only be doing on road for now.

All in all, I'd say a good piston. Not what I would use for my Blaster that i want to chug along for pretty much ever.

I know that won't happen, but, I'll stick with cheapy cast or do a Wiseco. If the boy get's into riding hard, I decide to build a smoker. I'd probably look a stuffing a Vertex in and see what she will do.

I did notice some bullshit about hardness of Vertex pistons and damage to cyl walls.

BULLSHIT!!!!!!!!

Even the rings are softer than the cyl walls, it's all BS.

The coating is a cool composite, but, not to the destruction of the cyl. These folks are serious and they understand that if you take her apart once a week you don't want to be f*cking with scored cyl walls.

I would use them for a customer if they request and can afford. Tell them this ain't the elixer of immortality and power, though.

They break in about a 1/4 of the time a regular piston takes and then perform at a maximum level until the tolerance gets beyond it's designed limit. Which is tighter than a cast slug.

Take from that what you will.

It's worth what ya paid for it!!!

The Blaster does seem to hold some love with them as it is offered in several oversized designs.

A