does it hurt to polish the transfer ports?

VoNgInA

Jun 28, 2014
I watched kens vids on port and polishing and when he did the transfer ports he never mentions polishing them. Is there a reason i should not do this or will i gain from it?

Only polish exhaust port and that only helps keep carbon deposits from building up.. Theory is not to polish intake anywhere.. A tectured surface seems best ,, like the texture from bead blasting.. you don't want large peaks and valleys but a smooth yet textured surface..

Here ya go..

Im aware about the intake itself but was wondering about the transfer ports? Same deal as the intake

I watched kens vids on port and polishing and when he did the transfer ports he never mentions polishing them. Is there a reason i should not do this or will i gain from it?

The texture basically flings your fuel into suspension and keeps it mixed with your air. If you polish the transfers the fuel will ring out to the walls and not be mixed as well coming into your cylinder.

If the intake surfaces are polished it will tend to allow the vaporised fuel to bead and gather as droplets on the polished surface.

The ideal charge to the combustion chamber is atomised, not with droplets of fuel which break off from the polished surface mixed in!

My friends and I have a saying: When in doubt, reference Formula One. They have an incredibly extensive budget that allows them to develop some insanely fast engines. If they do it, it's for a reason.

If you look really long and hard, you can come across some pictures of some intake ports for a formula one engine. They look to have around a 200 or 300 grit finish.

In the recent unveiling of the specifications of each engine from the major manufacturers, they posted pictures of the heads of some engines that were cut in half. The ports on those were very smooth, which differed from what I found in the ports of then-current engines. That goes to contribute to the idea of polishing only for the ooh and aah effect when put on display.

Darrin Morgan never polished heads, either.

Top Fuel doesn't polish anything from what I've found.

3 examples from 3 of the highest tiers of motorsports that show a few clicks down from a smooth finish.