dodge dakota vs. ford ranger

yeah i was pipe dreaming with that full sized dodge, but i do like it's looks and it's a virginia truck, sumthin us snow belt peeps look for

i'm goin to look at that blue ranger in a few, 2 years newer and lots nicer lookin than that original dodge i looked at this morn

whatever you buy, check around to see if you can get parts easily, a bud up here had either a 98 or 99 ranger and he could get parts for it for sh*t because the year he had was lie an in between model year or something dumb like that.

my dad has a silverado 1500 with a 5 speed and the 4.8 v8 and with a mix of highway and around town he gets like 17-20 mpg and the power is there if you need it

and watch with the extended cab rangers. my friend has one and it has 2 tiny seats that dont even face forward. and only expect to use 1 at a time unless your driving around 4 year olds

ext cab would only be for hunting/fishing and riding gear
my only child will be 21 in august,
and i like writing my name on boobies, so no more rugrats for awk

haha, funny ya bring up this topic AWK man, I was just thinkin' the same thing a few weeks ago, wanted a small beater/runner/fuel sipper/pickup for around the house, etc. Was getting sick of putting on my landscape trailer on the Rover just to go get a piece of sheetrock, and sick of the 15mpg back and forth to work, etc so found me a nice little beater.

2000 Ford Ranger XL, 90K miles on it, 2 owner, 2.5L 4cyl, 5 speed stick.
New tires, new exhaust, new fuel pump, new dpfe sensor, new MAF sensor, new bedliner, runs and acts like new. Great little truck, love it!!!!

Funny, just thought it was a coincidence.

Of course, as soon as I got it, had the bumpers/grill and wheels done matte black, and tinted the rear back window limo, cause that's how I roll, haha. AND, my KX 125 fits right in the back, sa-weeeet. (Blastee is WAY toooo wide, no go)
But I have a smaller 5x8 landscape trailer that goes perfect with this little truck, great eco-combo for hauling the boy toys, rock on.
Good luck with your findings... Shop smart.

Here is my little gas sipper, 26+ mpg beater, it's the shiz!!!! And got it for $2700, score!!!!

5519-imag0286.jpg

I:II:II:I

Last edited:
i have a 1996 ford ranger xlt it runs great without any issues and i love it but the gas pedal on it is so light it doesn't feel like there's anything under your foot. only the xlt rangers came with the 4.0 (yes mine has the 4.0), any other ranger will come with a 3.0 or if they're older, the 2.3 you were talking about. i have an old 1990 ford ranger with the 2.3 that i use to use for around the house but now it just sits. still runs perfect (279k miles).

i have no experience with dodge but if it's in better shape then go for it.

Here is my little gas sipper, 26+ mpg beater, it's the shiz!!!! And got it for $2700, score!!!!

5519-imag0286.jpg

does the lighter work so you can plug in the gps and make your way here in 3 weeks ???????????

and the blue ranger was a bust, a/c was locked up, they didnt have door key, muffler split, and the tranny dipstick showed some grit on it
body was superb as was the underneath, but i'm not foolin with trannies

stopped and looked at an older f150 sitting in a yard,
whew !!!!!! is this fugger nice, 95,000 on the body and a 60,000 mi. 302 in it, the guy is a fanatic, talked my ear off for 1/2 hour on all the new sh*t on this thing, and how he restored under the hood to factory specs,
i think i would have eaten off most of it, even the frame !!!!!
wants $3500 but i'm worried about the mpg's on a 302 ????

i dont think the 302 would be too bad. our silverado i told you about earlier has like a 293. and almost pulls 20mpg. how old is older though?

how old is older though?

i think it was an 85, but way cleaner than any of the 2000's i've been lookin at, this guy was like restoring it for shows, it's that nice !!!!!

Watch the body mounts and rear spring hangers on the Rangers. They tend to rust out pretty quickly. Otherwise they are good trucks and have more interior space than S-10s but less than the Dakota of course. I like Chevys personally but Rangers are good trucks if you find a clean one.

that blue silverado is nice !!!!!!!

awk, Id have to say take the ford over the Dodge, UNLESS the Dodge has had its upper/lower front balljoints replaced with a "serviceable" one (they have a zurk fitting in them to be greased once a year). Otherwise the 4x4s tear through front ends. I have a 99 Dakota 3.9 V6 Magnum. It doesnt even have 100k on it and I gotta replace the upper/lower ball joints, some bushings in the rack, and the tie rod ends. My dad has a 96 ranger xlt v6 and it has like 245k on it.

Well, now that I think about it, he has had transmission issues with it, but it was all replaced back under warranty (yeah, hes had it THAT long).

The Dakota has a solid engine in it. It doesnt go fast, its kinda sluggish off the line speed wise, but the thing has torque. Ive towed some sh*t I shouldnt have been able to with that thing. Its a 4x4in mofo too.

On a side note, if you want a little "fuel efficient" 4 banger, why not go with a Toyota? I know theyre a bit more pricey, but if youre not hauling stuff, other than a quad, and youre driving it all the time, they kick the Chevys, Fords, and Dodges asses. They have much better engines, theyre way more reliable, and they will literally go anywhere in 4 wheel drive.

Even the Nissans are good trucks too.

that blue silverado is nice !!!!!!!

I thought you might like that one. Like i said identical to my dads color and all just -2cylinders. real nice truck my dads is coming up on 110k miles and according to the carfax no major work done to it. just maintenence. Only problem we had was that corrosion got in the ABS sensor and caused the abs to activate in low speed applications when there was no tire lock. an hour or so and a can of brake cleaner fixed that.

awk, Id have to say take the ford over the Dodge, UNLESS the Dodge has had its upper/lower front balljoints replaced with a "serviceable" one (they have a zurk fitting in them to be greased once a year). Otherwise the 4x4s tear through front ends. I have a 99 Dakota 3.9 V6 Magnum. It doesnt even have 100k on it and I gotta replace the upper/lower ball joints, some bushings in the rack, and the tie rod ends. My dad has a 96 ranger xlt v6 and it has like 245k on it.

Well, now that I think about it, he has had transmission issues with it, but it was all replaced back under warranty (yeah, hes had it THAT long).

The Dakota has a solid engine in it. It doesnt go fast, its kinda sluggish off the line speed wise, but the thing has torque. Ive towed some sh*t I shouldnt have been able to with that thing. Its a 4x4in mofo too.

On a side note, if you want a little "fuel efficient" 4 banger, why not go with a Toyota? I know theyre a bit more pricey, but if youre not hauling stuff, other than a quad, and youre driving it all the time, they kick the Chevys, Fords, and Dodges asses. They have much better engines, theyre way more reliable, and they will literally go anywhere in 4 wheel drive.

Even the Nissans are good trucks too.

i might be too sceptical but i refuse to ever own a non-american truck. just one of those things, but if the big 3 get anything right its trucks