Do i need a new sprocket?

89BlasterFTW

Jan 25, 2012
Today i was riding with my brand new renthal chain(second ride) and it just snapped. The shop i bought it from said it is way over kill for my blaster and would last forever, guess not. So once i wheeled it back home i saw that by back sprocket was warped about .5 cm i asume this is from when the chain broke. The teeth are good so can i reuse this sprocket or will it cause acessive wear? Thanks

I would play it safe and get a new sproket. Don't tighten the chain down so much this time. You need about 1/2 of slack .

i wanna but the shop that carries them wants 45 bucks for a plain steel one. I could get a vitos sprocket for 20 bucks. And my cnain was too loose that why it blew it had about 2 inches of slack

If your brand new Renthal chain was fitted on old sprockets, and you were running it slack, that possibly was the reason it broke.

It is a good idea to fit new sprockets, both front and back, when you fit a new chain.

A slightly worn sprocket can stuff up, a new chain within a few hours of riding.

Chain adjustment is 30mm to 40mm up and down movement, with the rider sitting on the bike. 1 1/4 ins is a good mid range setting point.

IMHO you should buy two new sprockets.

i wanna but the shop that carries them wants 45 bucks for a plain steel one. I could get a vitos sprocket for 20 bucks. And my cnain was too loose that why it blew it had about 2 inches of slack

I thought maybe you tighten to point of no slack and hit a small jump. Seen that done a couple of times.

If your brand new Renthal chain was fitted on old sprockets, and you were running it slack, that possibly was the reason it broke.

It is a good idea to fit new sprockets, both front and back, when you fit a new chain.

A slightly worn sprocket can stuff up, a new chain within a few hours of riding.

Chain adjustment is 30mm to 40mm up and down movement, with the rider sitting on the bike. 1 1/4 ins is a good mid range setting point.

IMHO you should buy two new sprockets.

I keep mine at about 1/2 - 3/4 on mine because how I ride.

Ya i just honestly dont wanna spend the money on new sprockets and I know u should do them both at the same time but there not bad at all besides the fact that the one is bent. Also guys should i be running the chain on top or under the bottom roller? I had it running on the top cuz it had to much slack but i think it got wedged between the roller and swinger and just went all crazy. So ill probably run 1 inch slack cuz i hit a lot of jumps

Last edited:
The chain runs on top of the lower roller!

You really should replace the bent sprocket.

If you are cornering with a slacker than optimum chain, the sprocket may pick the chain off , causing you to break a crankcase. Not a pretty sight.

If you are contemplating jumping a lot of big jumps, the slackest setting of 40mm (1.5ins) is advisable to allow for the greater swing arm excursions.

You will be sorry if you don't swap the front sprocket for a new one, it will stuff up your new chain , pronto!

ok thanks where would be the cheapest place to get sprockets in ontario or place with cheap shipping to canada. Im really only gonna do it if i can get both for under 50 bucks, im only 15 so i dont have a job or anything yet. I know sprockets from vitos are cheap but i dont know how much their shipping is.

I am in Oz so am not much help on where to get, but get a look here!

blaster sprockets | eBay

You really should swap out the front one too, it may save you heaps in the long run.

Its called insurance!

Last edited by a moderator:
ik i really wanna but i dont have the money btw im reusing the chain im just gonna get a master link to put it back together. Im just gonna have to run it with same sprockets and chain. Ill just make a case saver at school next week so that will be my insurance haha.

ik i really wanna but i dont have the money btw im reusing the chain im just gonna get a master link to put it back together. Im just gonna have to run it with same sprockets and chain. Ill just make a case saver at school next week so that will be my insurance haha.

Now that what I call good thinking.

I am not advocating that you re use sprockets, expecially a bent one, but you must do, what you must do.

If you intend running a bent sprocket, take advice that it is far better to run the chain on the tightest adjustment, about 30mm.

It will ensure that the sprocket will not want to pick the chain off, also keep it extra lubricated to combat the extra wear that it will be subject to.

Ok sounds good. I should be measuring slack with me on it right? And what size bolts should I get that will thread right into the case or is there a way to use existing hardware in there?