DIY Hydro rear brake

trapper 1306

May 30, 2009
Scranton, Pa
Hey guys, i recently took the P.O.S. cable brake off the back of my blaster to install probably the best and cheapest hydro brake setup on it for reliability and stopping power.
I used a used Wilwood race caliper thats usually on the front of a big block modified stock car, and a standard master cylinder that is used for many different applications .. total cost lesss than $100 if you pick them up used. Total fab time abuot 2 hours, and bingo you have an amazing rear brake caliper!

I must say it works absolutely amazingI:I

0219121242a.jpg

0219121243.jpg

Reactions: yamaha28
awk use to sell gxsr 1000 set up with brackets and all pretty cheap, I did it my self for like 65 bucks i think for the master cylinder and caliper, but I know my fab work isn't as pretty, lol. either way nice work and very clever, really like the placement of the master from what i can tell in the pic, only question is does it stick below the heelgaurd any?

thanks! and that would be nice i never knew he sold a cheaper kit, all the ones i saw were over $150! This one cost me $40 for the caliper and $30 for the clutch, and used a few pieces of metal we had around our shop. And yes the master sticks below the heelgaurd about a 1/2", to keep it from getting beat up i took a piece of 1 1/2" angle and welded it to the bottom of the heelgaurd with the point down and the 2 ends sticking up as a "V", this way it cups the master and works as a 1/4" thick skidplate for it!

Can you get better pics of the mounting for the caliper. Someone may want to try this and the more pics you can post the more you can help them.

sure thing ill try and get them up later, basically alls i did was use the stock hole in the front then ground out area behind that so the caliper sat down lower then took a piece of flatstock, drilled a hole in it, then welded it to the carrier and bolted it up. it lines up perfectly!

Nice fab work bro,
And my kits are not cheaper, they are currently $185 shipped, the gsxr parts I developed my kit around have gotten increasingly expensive as I've used quite a few of them up off of eBay,
But they are definitely others that can work, and if my kits have inspired anyone to try this themselves thats awesome, and I've always tossed out any info I can to help with it

Btw....that's a shifter cart master cylinder formally used in the Trenga blaster hydro's if anyone is interested in looking for one, but I do believe the streetbike and stock atv/dirtbike masters are a better unit than that above

Again.....kudos for your fab skills !!

Last edited:
I used AWK's same design on my blaster as well . The Gixxer caliper was superb , but yes there are many others that would work as the OP did .
Looks great bro , good job!

thanks guys! and yeah for this application you dont need this style master cylinder, they can be a pain in the ass to bleed too! lol,, but i had this one sitting around because they are used on our Bert 2 speed racing transmissions in our big block modifieds as a clutch engager, so i had easy access to the parts lol, and the fab was the easy part for me, been doing it all my life!

Thanks! And really? thats awesome. i usually take the trails from east mountain by 81 to rocky glen or avoca silts or the 800s hby?

I'm on the other side of the valley on West Mountain. We trailered to over by rocky glen a couple weeks ago but only got to ride an hour or so until my friends clutch cable snapped.

We usually take the tracks on the expressway down to the track in Moosic or up to Nicholson. We'll have to get together one of these days when we can borrow a trailer and ride to Avoca, haven't been there yet.

yeah definately! how are the trails there? and what track in moosic do you go to?

Typical PA trails...rock heaven haha. Not all the trails are that bad though. There is a little practice track down in Moosic that we hit up once in a while. Just in the woods, nothing too special.

90253fbe.jpg

Different colors = different ways to ride it
d4fee1fb.jpg

You can see the big ass puddle on the top there, it's usually always there but that's the only spot. Most of the track is sand type dirt.