DIY-How to stud your tires

specialized7

Can't Stop, Won't Stop!
May 2, 2008
Saskatoon Canada
Alright decided to try it, but yet to test it but i have no doubts at all.

First thing your going to need is a set of tires, they can be new or used.
i used a set that are actully 20 years old and worn.

Second thing your going to need is a drill.
studdedtires005.jpg

Then get some screws just like this, they have to have the big head on them.
studdedtires004.jpg

Then you can make up your own pattern to screw them in.
studdedtires003.jpg

studdedtires002.jpg

studdedtires006.jpg

all in total i used 200 screws, 100 in each tire.
hope this helps!

WHAT IF I HAVE LOW TREAD AND BY ACCIDENT I GO THRU. CAN I JUST PLUG IT? AND GREEN GOOP IT. WELL F IT , I GOT 2 NEW KNOBBIES COMING FROM EBAY SO ILL DO THIS TONIGHT TO MY MUDDERS THAT ARENT MAKING IT UP STEEP COAL HILLS. THE TIRES DIG RUTS.

B4 THE 91 SPLASH WAS STRIPPED OF EVERY NUT AND BOLT(LAST WEEK) I HAD THE POS TAKING THE CULM BANKS LIKE 1991 WAS YESTERDAY ! KNOBBIES MADE A HUGE DIFFERENCE COMPARED TO MUDDERS. SO I WON AUTION ON EBAY. ILL TAKE SOME PHOTOS TONIGHT OF ALL MY STUFF.

good idea. but when i think of studding, i picture sharp things so when i saw the title i thought you went from the inside out which woulda been sick.

Well up here in Wisconsin we do a lot of Ice riding. You have the basic idea but the wrong studs. You can buy studs made just for this. I have used this for bikes and atvs. They are Goldmax Ice studs. They are similar to the ones in your pic but not. They are deeper and sharper and have a light gold plating to keep them sharper. You try not to go through but if you do, slime works ok. As far as 89customs question, If you plan to drag race, guys use dry wall screws from the inside out with a tube. You need a lot so that they kind of support each other. This takes time because I mean literally a lot. Like 1000 per rear tire. The front is not so important for drag because you go straight. If you river ride these studs are not the best , the goldmax are. Then you want the front studded due to cornering. IF you go into dirt or gravel with any of these, they will dull fast so dont. Snowmobile studs can work, but they tend to add a lot of centrifugal weight and slows you down.

yea iv heard that there are some better ones.
i dont do any drag racing myself just trail ripping and in the winter it doesnt turn good haha. i had these old tires so i thought i might as well try it.

Hey well tested them out they work great about a 75% improvement

doing the same thing to my blaster friday night... shootin for 150 per rear tire ( no studs now and i loss traction in 6th gear) kinda makes lake riding fun but sucks at the same time..

i have the gold max ice screws in my trail boss and i absolutly hate them 60 bucks for a box of 1k!! and i got 2 left!! every time i ride the trail boss im missing screws!! and its a constant velocity clutch just like a snow mobile so im not banging gears!!! desided screw the ice screws and did a brake stand lastnight... 10 foot rooster tails of sparks flyin off the rear tires

just a fyi to add to this thread.. learned threw my self and friedns if your ripping studs out you need to go to longer ones! friend of mine on his honda 200s 3 wheeler was rippin 1/2 and 3/4 studs out all the time .. went to 1 inchers and he has lost maybe 10 in the last year!.. and if you go 1 inchers slim the tires!!

good choice on the sheet metal screws.. low buck traction and easy on the pocket when you have to replace ripped out studs

http://www.mcmaster.com/

Look for self tapping machine screws with a slotted hex head. Depending on size, 3-5 bux per 100. MUCH cheaper than the same thing from a dealer or something!!! McMaster doesn't deliver to residences, they only sell to companies and schools. Even if your company doesn't usually order through them, ask them if you can order it to be delivered and you'll pay. If you're in school, they give discounts (you probably have to buy more than 3 bux worht of stuff though) to students doing research and stuff.

Any recommendation as to which size (#6, #8, etc.) is best?? I'm thinking maybe #8, but I don't do studs much. All I know is that the slotted ones are key, they're just like the ones for big bux that have a V notch where the slot would be. You could make these into V notch ones too with a grinder and some time.

At $5 per 100, you just buy the gold max for $60 for 1000 and they are meant for studding your tires. You have to have common sense doing this. Look at your tires knob size, shorter knob shorter screw. I have turf tamers with about 300 per tire, rode twice, never lost a screw. I used the 7/16 length and screwed them in flush. I am not easy on them either. I also had a 400ex and a 250ex. Maybe through the season, lost a couple handfulls between the two of them. You have to stay off of rocks and pavment or they will dull. Ill take some pictures of mine, just studded up my holeshots, wanted 18inch tires to stay lower because Im hanging so hard around the corners.

im running about 250-260 #10 hex head sheet metal screws 3/4 lenght... works great will wheelie in 1-2-3 gears with my 250 pounds on a blasterand will still hand sideways around corners with the best of them!... got my screws at menards.. box of 100 for $1.90