Diving in balls deep

ChrisZx7

May 15, 2012
Rochester, Ny
Here's my build. Don't expect too many updates too fast. Im gonna take my time with it (Doubt it). Im not spending any money from paychecks toward this build. I will be using money from selling parts from a couple street bikes im parting. And any side jobs i get offerd.

I aquired this blaster from my friend few months ago for $440. Needed a carb clean and oil change. Brought it home and it sat, i would not allow myself to touch it untill i was done with bike project.

Got it running, rode the sh*t out of it, then blew top end. Ive been fighting with myself to rebuild, but i cant allow myself to half ass a build, and end up spending lots of money cuz i like them done right.

Was going to powder coat frame, but opted out and rattle canned it (Hate myself for that). Everything that can fit into my oven, i will powder coat myself.

Color scheme is going to be white and black. Engine crank, and top end are being shipped to Ken for some work. Getting crank rebuilt, top end bored, port and polish, and his head mod. Assembly of engine will be done by me.

Anyways, here's some pics of how it sits now.

Frame painted gloss black, steering stem white. Stock shocks on it, dont plan on keeping em, waiting on good deal of Banshee shocks. Work's shocks are out of question. Cant spend 400+ on shocks that wont be used to full potential. (My dog is obsessed with lights, hence the reason he is sitting waiting for flash to go off).

DSC00834_zps92600eb9.jpg

DSC00835_zpsce804f9e.jpg

DSC00836_zps22e12aad.jpg

Pro taper bars off my streetfighter. 1 1/8th

DSC00789.jpg

Thrust washer blew apart and f*cked engine up.

DSC00839_zpsaba651bc.jpg

DSC00838_zps927b35ca.jpg

Nerf bars that were on it, i think they broke and someone rewelded tab in wrong spot, you can see that it wont full slide onto other because tap is in incorrect position.

DSC00840_zpsd7d5e40b.jpg

DSC00841_zpsd515529b.jpg

Gatta sandblast all this stuff and powder coat

DSC00842_zpsf77467e8.jpg

Tokico 4pot caliper off my ZX7, gonna fab it for rear disk.

DSC00844_zpsc4c403fd.jpg

Will have more updates as i work on it more. Right now all money i get is being used towards the engine and what i will owe Ken.

Not bad. I never thought about powder coating part at home in the oven. Lol

Dont do it in your oven in house! Your wife / mom will be PISSED. It will make all future food taste like ball juice. I bought an electric oven off craigslist for 15$ and wired up 220 off my breaker in garage. Biggest thing i have powder coated in it are my 17" rims on bike.

Looks good so far. I can tell you this. You WILL be surprised with that port and head. My pit is obsessed with lights to. He tries to bite flash lights lol.

sounds like a good game plan so far !!!

Dont do it in your oven in house! Your wife / mom will be PISSED. It will make all future food taste like ball juice. I bought an electric oven off craigslist for 15$ and wired up 220 off my breaker in garage. Biggest thing i have powder coated in it are my 17" rims on bike.

Nice! That's good to know. I really didn't plan on it since I can power coat about 10 complete bikes at work. Lol by the way how did you get the powder to stick?? Do you have a pc gun??

Looks good so far. I can tell you this. You WILL be surprised with that port and head. My pit is obsessed with lights to. He tries to bite flash lights lol.

That's what ive been reading. Can't wait to ride it.

sounds like a good game plan so far !!!

Thanks

Nice! That's good to know. I really didn't plan on it since I can power coat about 10 complete bikes at work. Lol by the way how did you get the powder to stick?? Do you have a pc gun??

Of course, theres no other way to get powder to stick. I bought it off Eastwood, and buy my powder off ebay, soo cheap.

Looking good so far man!

You've got a cool dog too!

Thanks, hes just a baby, i think he's 8months now, pitbull / bull mastiff.

Did some work on bike today. Lastnight i went into garage to start taking engine apart because i gatta send crank to Ken. Well i noticed real quick its a biotch to try and take bolts off and hold engine. So i decided i had to make myself a make shift engine stand. Went into work today, and this is what i made. Its not pretty, my measuring skills are horrible, but it works for what i need.

DSC00846_zps7670da74.jpg

DSC00847_zps669b9782.jpg

Didn't wanna drill too many holes in work bench to hold jig to table, so i did 3 so it could be pivoted for access to both sides. Even with jig and gear holder, these nuts are tough to break loose. Is it safe to give em a quick zip with air gun?

DSC00852_zpsed7edfc2.jpg

Drilled holes out for my Pro taper 1 1/8th mounts / risers.

DSC00848_zpsa38f4951.jpg

Bars on. Notice the clody white stain? Thats from the "Super clean" degreaser from autozone. If it sits for 30 seconds too long while washing in sun, its stains. Only way to get off is a good buff.

DSC00849_zpsc4488ef2.jpg

DSC00850_zpsebd7ca43.jpg

Can anyone tell me where the hell this mounts onto frame? Only spot i can see is maybe the little bracket infront of steering stem, but holes are off by like 1/8th of an inch.

DSC00851_zpse874f5bb.jpg

Went to lowes today and picked up some Rustoleum Gloss Black oil based paint and paint thinner. Came home after work and decided to paint stuff. Pretty pissed at myself that i spray painted frame. I thought i was going to powder coat my a-arms n crap, but decided against it this yr.

Since i did my bike predomintly (Sp?) white, im doing wheeler black. Ill do the sprocket hub, inside of disk, and maybe the rims (If i dont buy new) white.

My digital camera is being retarded, so i cant upload pics. Ill post em tomorrow. I also orderd a flywheel puller other night, waiting for that to come in mail. Didn't get to paint swingarm since i dont have one. I cut it in half months ago with intensions to +2 it. But im not gonna, so now i need to find a cheap one.

Here's the pics. Not the greatest, parts were still wet should i couldn't move em.

Rear hubs

DSC00853_zpsa7105dab.jpg

Front hubs

DSC00855_zps8574dbe8.jpg

A-Arm

DSC00856_zps4b0a412b.jpg

DSC00854_zps980b09e8.jpg

Got the sprocket off crank shaft, and nut of counter balancer sprocket. This sprocket wont slide off like the crank one did, what is a good way to get it off without damaging balancer?

DSC00857_zpsfce80bbc.jpg

Decided the organize this work bench since other one is occupied by a yzf600 engine. Hung up all main tools i use. Gatta get the special hangars for screwdrivers.

DSC00858_zps05bf7f2a.jpg

Reactions: blasterfreek30
Thanks. Been cold as sh*t here, so took the parts 36 hours to really dry to point where i could take em down and inspect. I missed a few spots painting, so had to hit them again.

Got lower A-Arms on, rest is drying. Got right side of engine dissasembled, and noticed my shift rod is bent, awesome.

Ill have pics up soon. As of now, im looking for some parts maybe someone can help me with.

Stock swingarm
03+ rear disk hub
Banshee Axle
Engine shift rod

UPDATE:

Gatta search house and find new card for digi cam, its full atm.

Started assembling front end. Got one side done. Picked up a banshee axle and blaster swingarm tonight for $20/each. Going to get a 400ex shock at 7 for $20.

Flywheel puller came in mail, gonna work on engine tomorrow. Cold as sh*t outside, no heater in garage and cant grab one from work untill the drywall compound is dry in our showroom that were redoing.

Ill have pic update soon. Tomorrow im taking half day so ill get quite a bit done.