dirt bike

xJust_Causex

Apr 14, 2010
york, Illinois
So this summer if funds do allow I'm wanting to be a dirt bike and try to learn to ride. My question is what is a good starter bike. I don't wanna go to big and kill my self but I do want something that I can haul me around, I'm pretty close to 300#'s, and still have some get up and go when I get more comfortable.

For a first bike i would recommend a 4 oh poke like a ttr maybe. I say 4 stroke because 2 stroke bikes are very explosive. For a first bike a4 stroke would be good. Test rid both and you will see. But it really depends on the rider , for example a yz 250 has only around14 ftlbs of torque less than the yz450f. Id go with maybe a 250f for a first bike.. Don't get me wrong i looove 2 strokes but bikes are different than quads. One little mistake and that bike will be out from under you.. choose accordingly.. good luck man. Fill us in...

trials mostly but a little jumping may no be enirely out of the question, although it will be a long while for that, still don't hardly jump the blaster,

For a first bike i would recommend a 4 oh poke like a ttr maybe. I say 4 stroke because 2 stroke bikes are very explosive. For a first bike a4 stroke would be good. Test rid both and you will see. But it really depends on the rider , for example a yz 250 has only around14 ftlbs of torque less than the yz450f. Id go with maybe a 250f for a first bike.. Don't get me wrong i looove 2 strokes but bikes are different than quads. One little mistake and that bike will be out from under you.. choose accordingly.. good luck man. Fill us in...

I was thinking the same, as much as I love 2 strokes I think learning of a 4stroke would be easier than transition over when I"m more comfortable

I would look into Honda's XR lineup, probably a 400 or a 600. They are damn near bullet proof and will have plenty of torque to move around a 300 pound rider. A 450 4t will do it too you just need to know that they are really angry machines and you will have to master throttle control if you don't want to meet a tree. Stay away from used 250f's, their 13,000+ rpm motors are ticking time bombs IMO. An old KX 500, CR 500 or KTM 300+ will work too but it's back to the angry motor thing, some of them will put down over 70 horsepower. You might also look for a bike that has been re-sprung for a heavier rider, stock suspension is usually set for a 170ish pound rider and will need to be gone through if you are really going to enjoy the bike.

Edit: I just rememberd that we made a video of my 320 pound friend riding my CRF450 for the first time, It may have been edited slightly lol

Last edited by a moderator: