Digital Tachometer/Hour Meter

xjma

Although this question could very well apply to a blaster, in my case it does not, however, I figured this is the most likely forum that I frequent where someone may be likely to have an informed answer, so here goes!

I'm interested in a tach for two machines 1) my brothers honda 20hp 4-stroke outboard motor - it's pretty much indispensable for finding the best prop for our application. 2) I also would be interested just for fun to put a tach (or maybe just swap it around now and then) on my Jiffy 3hp gas auger. I can tune it by ear and how well/quickly it cuts through the ice for whatever temp I'm running it in (which definitely varies enough to have to mess with it from time to time, especially this year), but having a tach would be cool.
I really don't feel the need for a tach on the blaster as I feel I have no problem dialing in the carb just right by the seat of my pants feel, although throwing one on from time to time would be cool.

I am a fan of analog, however, they're expensive!! Not sure if I'd need an aux power source for one or not though?? That would make it more complicated, and mounting - especially temporarily, would be a PITA. So due to these complications I've pretty much ruled this route out unless someone knows of a good analog tach that would fit my application....and be less than 50 bucks!

There is this one from ebay
eBay - New & used electronics, cars, apparel, collectibles, sporting goods & more at low prices

It says it's for outboards, 2 or 4 stroke. Simple enough and cheap, self contained little battery, just wrap wire around plug wire and one to ground, set the pulse (for 2 or 4 stroke) and go. I'm wondering if it actually works for the price? Can't find any info on manufacturer which is kinda sketchy. If anyone has experience with this and it actually works, I'll grab one or three.

Then there is the nice one by trail tech
TTO Tach-Hour Meter at Trail Tech Home
Just under 40 bucks, from a reputable company and it even looks sweet to boot. I know that this one will work for what I want it to do, but if the cheap-o does the same thing, why pay 2x the price? One a side note I also may be interested in trail tech's digital temp gauge - the one that goes right around the spark plug!! That would be awesome for making sure you don't fry the top end!!!

Anyways, sorry for the long post and thanx for any help!! Also, if anyone has any recommendations on the correct prop for a 2007 honda 20hp 4stroke outboard on a lund WC 16 DLX aluminum vhull, lemme know!! Thanx!!

Last edited by a moderator:
A little info on the digital tachs: They lag!!!! But if you dont care about a 2-3 second lag they are alright. I would think the ebay one is just as good as the trail-tech one.

Ive been researching on instaliing a analog tachometer for my raptor 660. Its hard to do this since some engines have whats called a wasted spark. Basically the spark plug fires on the exaust stroke. So have a system that counts sparts wont work. So I found a tach off ebay from a KTM Duke 2 640 that also has a wasted spark. Im going to eventually get this isntalled on the rappy once I get some free time.