Custom Lights 01 Blaster

kf7lcw

Feb 2, 2012
Oregon
Just starting this thread for when I get going on my custom lights. I am going to pick up a set of pilot driving light housings, and back them up with one of two bulbs. Mounting will be to what used to be the fender supports.

My preferred method will be 35W HID's. I've crunched the numbers they should work fine, provided the blaster is putting out significant voltage when they "fire". When running the bulbs draw only 40 watts, however, to fire, they use up to 70. By my calculations if the blaster is only pulling 12v at the time, they will likely not fire as they require a minimum of 9 volts. If the blaster is pulling 13.5, they will work fine. 12.9 is the cutoff. This may mean revving up the bike to fire them, it may also mean custom fabbing a capacitor setup to charge while they are off, and then use its power to fire them. I will post more when I know more

Backup plan is H3 LED lights off ebay. They draw 7.5watts a piece.

the best way to help "kick over" those HID's would be to float the ground on the stator, build a rectifier setup, and add a battery IMO. it's a little more complicated, but it would be the best way to reliably do it

I would love to see someone add a battery to a blaster. I might just try that! lol

I have looked into that, and I am considering it.

I am wondering about those LED bulbs. Reviews claim they have the same output at a 55W h3, plus with the low draw, I may be able to find some dual beam housings, like fog and driving together hmmmmm

I have a battery in my blaster but I don't think other Blasters will be able to mount it in the same spot...

430640_345503972140508_100000427240239_1257884_288610820_n.jpg

425996_346505865373652_100000427240239_1259861_1700951780_n.jpg

Lol, I don't think I can fit mine there

Well its looking like a battery will be the only route. The blaster just don't have the umph to fire them. Oh well, maybe I will try those LEDs.

For anybody wondering about a capacitor, it would need a 240 Farad unit to power the lights enough to fire for 20 seconds (which is about how long mine take to warm up/ quit buzzing). The biggest unit's I've personally seen are 80 farad, and the cheapest are around 100 bucks, so I do not believe that would be a good idea lol.

In my mind the LED option is the way to go, they take very little horsepower away as they run on very little current.

Tuned into this thread & poachin ideas ... burp
This battery is 1 1/2 x 3 3/8 x 4 1/2 ... bout the size of a 4" chunk of 2x4 ... ain't sayin where I'm puttin mine but I don't have an airbox or tool box anymore.
~
Blasterbattery.jpg

wanted one of these but it's over budget for me and a charging circuit would make things too complicated for my mind :)
eBay - New & used electronics, cars, apparel, collectibles, sporting goods & more at low prices

I do plan to have a charging jack so I can use the GPS on my cell to find the trail heads and my way back to camp at the dunes for night rides. Open dunes can be weird at night with few landmarks.

Last edited by a moderator:
i thought this site was to share with people. my folks taught me to share. nah im just messin with ya. i cant wait to see where this thread is goin. deffinately be following this one

Lol, I feel ya about the dunes. I think if I run the LED's, I will have plenty of power to spare. I've also considered running an auxiliary battery, even if its not charged by the stator. Its purpose would be to just run auxiliary power and I could charge it with a trickle charger.

Tuned into this thread & poachin ideas ... burp
This battery is 1 1/2 x 3 3/8 x 4 1/2 ... bout the size of a 4" chunk of 2x4 ... ain't sayin where I'm puttin mine but I don't have an airbox or tool box anymore.
~
Blasterbattery.jpg

wanted one of these but it's over budget for me and a charging circuit would make things too complicated for my mind :)
eBay - New & used electronics, cars, apparel, collectibles, sporting goods & more at low prices

I do plan to have a charging jack so I can use the GPS on my cell to find the trail heads and my way back to camp at the dunes for night rides. Open dunes can be weird at night with few landmarks.

GOOD TIP ON THE BATTERIES!!! i HAVE BEEN THINKIN ABOUT USING A 14.4 VOLT NICAD POWER TOOL BATT

^ Interesting concept, I have a bunch of scooter batteries kicking around, so I will probably use those. I do have a wide selection of 19.2 craftsman batteries....

Doing a little more pondering here....

Those bulbs I was looking at are junk... 300 lumens will never cut it.

DDM sells LED off-road lights. They are oval shaped and draw 1 amp each, and put out 1700 lumens. Not too shabby IMO, but they're not cheap, 50 bucks a light.

In comparison we have LED @ 1700 Lumens, Halogen at 2000 Lumens, and HID at 3400 Lumens. The advantage I can see if being able to run two LED's with less than half the power consumption.

Unfortunately I was wrong about the HID's, those ratings are per ballast, so we need 72W (6A @ 12V) to fire just one.

I think the stator could handle it, if we look at the lights we have:

45 Watts for the Headlight
3.5 Watts for the taillight
21 Watts for the brake light
3.5 Watts for the oil warning light

So we have 73W total, one watt over what we need. Seeing as my machine lacks brake light (idk if it did at the factory, but its gone now), and I have an oil injection delete, I have pretty much all that power available, it should certainly provide power for 10 or so seconds to fire them?

So, abandoning my two-light hopes, I looked into different housings, I'm thinking about modifying the headlight bracket to make one of these work with it
4x6 Universal Chrome Diamond Cut Projector Headlights | eBay

What do y'all think?

All that said I'm leaning toward a single HID. One of those puts out as much as two of the LED housings, for half the price. In addition I can keep the high-low, and once they are running, I will be drawing less power than the LED's.

ive been contemplating putting hid's on my daughters blaster and my banshee. ive just not had time to do the leg work to find out what it would take. thanks for doing all that for me lol. my plan is a single hid in the factory housing (2003 and up style) ill let you know my findings also. keep up the good work kf7lcw!