Custom but Minimal Wiring Harness

dksix

Apr 16, 2012
North East Tennessee
Since I'm using the Maier front hood/fenders, I'll not be using a headlight and I want to eliminate everything but a basic push button kill switch I decided to make a custom harness rather than hack up one of my good wiring harnesses. I looked that the drawing in RatBlaster's "easy wiring diagram for you" thread and I just want to confirm what I'm thinking. I'll only need 3 wires from the stator (red/white and black/red run to the CDI and black to the frame for ground), from the CDI's black/white to my grounded push button kill switch and the orange wire from the CDI to the coil (coil mounted to frame for ground) and the plug wire from the coil to the spark plug. I have both an 01 and 04 CDI but think I should use the 01 CDI because it doesn't wire into the TORS.
Am I missing something, like the switch that's in the throttle or any others?

You have it exactly right. 3 stator wires,blk/wh for the kill switch(ground the other side),orange wire from cdi to coil(ground the other side of coil),plug wire. That is everything you need to make a stripped functioning harness.NO lights,tors,etc. Doesn't matter which cdi you use. I personally like the 03-06 harnesses as it looks alot cleaner with just the one unit. I have made a few this way and all work well with no issues.I even take out the lighting coil on the stator.I have a diagram here I made to make things simple with a stripped harness.If you need a copy(seems like you don't lol) let me know and I will get you a pic of it.

Reactions: dksix
You have it exactly right. 3 stator wires,blk/wh for the kill switch(ground the other side),orange wire from cdi to coil(ground the other side of coil),plug wire. That is everything you need to make a stripped functioning harness.NO lights,tors,etc. Doesn't matter which cdi you use. I personally like the 03-06 harnesses as it looks alot cleaner with just the one unit. I have made a few this way and all work well with no issues.I even take out the lighting coil on the stator.I have a diagram here I made to make things simple with a stripped harness.If you need a copy(seems like you don't lol) let me know and I will get you a pic of it.

can you send me that diagram by any chance??
Thank you. I am trying to get my blaster together for a race this weekend. it was in a basket when I bought it and yea. It's been a journey to say the least.