custom airbox

Jhabeeb

Jul 25, 2011
Burlington, Mass
hey im looking to make a custom airbox im gunna use the same dimensions as the f7 airbox and was wondering what material i could use i dont wanna use aluminum because i cant weld it and if it would be better than stock and if anyone else has made a custom one before thanks

i made one out of a street sign. granted it is aluminum i didnt weld it together because i dont have an aluminum welder either. instead i used RTV silicone and sealed the cracks from the inside and it works fine. if your going for looks i would reccomend clear silicone i used red besause thats all i had. i have a thread of the whole process on here somewhere. it made a noticeable difference in power when i got it finished.

What sort of processes' do you have handy? Selftapping screws and some thin aluminum angle can connect thin pieces of aluminum. Granted it doesn't looks as good as the assembly welded...

If you have either a torch or a mig welder you can build one out of sheet steel (which I did for my blaster before I had my tig) and weld the seams.

i have a welder so could steel work i made airscoops wit it and loved it i just cant weld aluminum is what i meant i can weld steel though!

i figured it would be a lil heavier but the performance would be better thank stock though right?

Using 22 gauge steel sheet I was able to torch weld it and saved about 1 lb over the stock airbox weight (after it was cut out of the rear plastics). A thin aluminum airbox maybe could have saved 3-4lbs. As 1995blaster said, it's not the material that makes it better aluminum is used because it doesn't rust, is pretty light, and looks good as hell. Steel can be painted to satisfactory results and will yield the same performance gains it just won't look as good...

The design is the major consideration here. You want a tube diameter at or preferrably larger than your carburetor intake horn and a filter with a relatively straight shot in between. In order to make the shot straighter, I made my tube enter the box in the corner and then turned the very tip straight to get the filter straight in the box. It doesn't make it quite as attractive but fitment is GREATLY improved and the intake flow doesn't have to make nearly as many bends as it does in the CFM box.