Cracked Crank Case!

High-Tech

Jul 28, 2010
Kalamazoo, Michigan
I had my crank case crack on me yesterday while putting the clutch cover back on! Do you guys think this is repairable? This is the only picture that would turn out! Its by the upper bolt to the clutch cover right by the kick start!

http://i905.photobucket.com/albums/ac252/redneckgunner/DSCF3052.jpg

Another thing... I have rubber grommets on the head, I'm guessing its to keep mud and dirt off the head but do I need them?

http://i905.photobucket.com/albums/ac252/redneckgunner/DSCF3070.jpg

There are more on the sides of the cylinder

http://i905.photobucket.com/albums/ac252/redneckgunner/DSCF3072.jpg

the rubber fins are to dampen vibrations and keep the fins from kind of ringing

and on the case, i'd just throw some JB weld on it

I don't like half assing it so id swap the case half out or at the least have it tigged.I'm not sure but a good tig welder maybe able to do it as is.id check into jb weld is garbage.

Especially since you're on a budget, JB should be your friend...JB weld has it's place and it's usually where it's not cost effective to do it "right".

That crack is in a bad spot. That's where the clutch cover gets a lot of strength for the kick starter pivot. I'm not sure JB would keep the crack from growing or the gear train from getting out of alignment. Last thing you would want is the starter gear to hang engaged to the idler after the engine starts.

If I had mine crack that bad, I'd pull the cases back apart and take it to a shop to get it TIG welded back together.

How did you crack it anyway? Begin tightening down the clutch cover bolts before the alignment pins were set good?

Especially since you're on a budget, JB should be your friend...JB weld has it's place and it's usually where it's not cost effective to do it "right".

That crack is in a bad spot. That's where the clutch cover gets a lot of strength for the kick starter pivot. I'm not sure JB would keep the crack from growing or the gear train from getting out of alignment. Last thing you would want is the starter gear to hang engaged to the idler after the engine starts.

If I had mine crack that bad, I'd pull the cases back apart and take it to a shop to get it TIG welded back together.

How did you crack it anyway? Begin tightening down the clutch cover bolts before the alignment pins were set good?

I called around today, it seems as tho its only $30 to get welded back together.(Rough estimate without seeing it)

I will have my bolts tomorrow because M&M cycle is a worthless POS and "forgot to put the order threw" and then they where "out of stock" so now they are giving me a new clutch cover gasket for free because they told me they would be here last Friday and now its Wednesday and still nothing!

I am on a budget but 30 is a small price to pay to have it fixed the right way so i wont have to deal with it leaking!

The Kick starter shaft was not set in properly so it wouldn't let the case go all the way on, and one turn to many and that's what you get.

Thanks for the input. its greatly appreciated.

The budget comment was directed at Budget_Blaster. hehe.

Although it is still good to know you can find a decent welder out there... most of the shops I know about won't put on their helmet for a minimum order fee. Like $50 or they won't even touch it. If it takes more than a few minutes the price goes up from there. You weld should take about 30 minutes to do it ugly or about an hour to make it real pretty. SHOULDN'T cost too much.

Do i have to split it?, i was hoping they could do it while its together! I dont have a stator puller. and i wont know how to put it back together once i get it apart!

I have my unlimited NC state welding certification. I have welded it all. TIG is my specialty and if you can get a good tig welder for 30 bux then go for it cuz i wouldnt fix it for less than $ 150 bux. You must tear it down to have it welded to insure it never breaks again. That is a very bad crack and to do it right it will cost probably more than a case. Once the welder sees what he is attempting he will offer no guarantee on his repair. I suggest changeing the case out. You might find a jack leg welder to half ass seal it for 30 bux but good luck on that. That crack needs to be totally ground out and tig welded back up . JB weld will not hold long and neither will a tig weld without it being taken apart and ground out and redone, so you really need to change it.

Being the fact you're on a budget id have them attempt it while together.worst case scenario you have to eventually get a new case.but if it holds a year maybe in a year your budget will change and it gives you time to find on on the cheap.I think spending or trying to charge anyone 150 for that is ignorant.I don't cafre how good you are or think you are.but imo id leave it together and wouldn't give a damn if it was pretty as long as it holds until you get another.understand id do this only as a temporary fix.

Being the fact you're on a budget id have them attempt it while together.worst case scenario you have to eventually get a new case.but if it holds a year maybe in a year your budget will change and it gives you time to find on on the cheap.I think spending or trying to charge anyone 150 for that is ignorant.I don't cafre how good you are or think you are.but imo id leave it together and wouldn't give a damn if it was pretty as long as it holds until you get another.understand id do this only as a temporary fix.

Call me ignorant but i make a very good living and got way to much work. You get what you pay for. I dont turn my welder on for under 50 bux on alluminum. I build extended alluminum swingarms on the side for way more than 150 bux and i cant keep up with the work i have now. I never had a race arm break and that alone keeps my wallet full. Your grammer and spelling tells me your the dumb ass.

well good for you MMAJAY. I'm glad you have money to burn but some of us have to spend our hard earned money on other things! If you want to be a prick to someone, keep it out of my posts please!X(

I didnt start the name calling. Excuse me but i offered the way i would fix it and nothing more. Actually i would like to see a pic of the fix. I was not a prick in any way or fashion. Really i want to see this weld job.

I didnt start the name calling. Excuse me but i offered the way i would fix it and nothing more. Actually i would like to see a pic of the fix. I was not a prick in any way or fashion. Really i want to see this weld job.

Look two posts below this one in the Crank case welded post!
It doesn't look good but it will work. Thanks for the Help guys!

I'm going to go get some gasket sealer and the clutch cover gasket! then I'll have it back together.