cracked case...update...wuts ur opinion?

blaster0187

Jan 18, 2011
mulberry fl
Sooo I got this quad 1 week ago....new piston but...the old one broke and chunk got stuck in crank case crack yada yada

I'm wondering if u would run this or if anyone has had success with jb weld??
Area was cleaned and prepped very well just looking for opinion

If this is a omg no way wtf u thnkn??? Anyone gotta right sid 2013-01-28 17.32.01.jpg

2013-01-28 17.32.54.jpg

2013-01-28 17.32.37.jpge case??

It looks good...BUT....
and don't take this wrong... The only proper way to repair the case is with tig welding. A good tig welding repair makes it like new.

Personally, i would never run this as you may not notice the repair fail immediately (while you are riding) which could lead to a much more serious issue like a seized motor. i would just bite the bullet and get it TIG welded by a shop for peace of mind. you usually end up causing more problems when shortcuts are taken, I'm not saying it will break but the risk is waaay too high for my liking.

I understand...but I live in hillbilly fl a skilled aluminum welder is not near lol....but u guys are the pros....the cracks are very small and was still intact not an actual break ill grind it off and call around

Has this engine ran with it like that? Or is that your repair? I would at least lap that side to be sure you have an absolute flat surface.

This motor has not been ran like this but it did run b4....was hell to start didn't see th crack until its was dripping....then pulled it apart

Lol....nah this was just an option I chose....but it'll be grinded and fixed with a tig
I don't want any chances with the hotrods crank....don't wanna do it twice

^^^^^ Good choice. I wouldn't risk it on a stock motor let alone a motor with some money put into it. I just had some cases tig welded.

Welding is cheaper then a rebuild.

I hope you guys got my humour and don't take offense?
My point is "don't be afraid of the unknown, dive into it and learn".

I'd like to suggest that passing judgement on things with no experience does nothing for advancing knowledge.
You may THINK, and FEEL, but you do not KNOW.
Reasoning it out in your head does not prove the earth is flat.
Taking a poll will not prove it either.
You have to get active and take your ship to the edge to see the truth.

I felt the same way about JB Weld repairs, but I tested my preconceptions by experiment.

So. Last year Triplecrown patched up a 1" hole in both case halves and into the transmission with JB Weld and fiberglass.
This engine has run with several top end configurations and for the most part making over 30 hp.
Still running, no leaks (pressure tested) and still holding.

Yup, TIG would be prefered, but done right, there are alternatives.

Feelings and hunches are important for developing theories and direction, but you have to test them to know for sure, and keep an open mind to the results. To keep repeating a hunch or feeling louder and louder in the face of solid practical evidence is a sure sign of Emotionally Unstable (Borderline) Personality Disorder, the triumph of emotion over logic.

Steve

I've ground the jb off and have calld several in my area.......not looking to positive nobody can gimme a for sure it'll hold....the cracks are so small its rediculous.....I'm not for riggin but I've heard good and bad about jb on a case

Originally I thought it was busted out, but if you're only sealing cracks why not? I think I'd have cleaned the outside better, but that's just me.

Only "bad " experience I had with JB was on a Magnisium transfer case. Don't know if it was the mag or oil still seeping from case, I did grind/sand and clean with acetone, but didn't stick. Plus being it's a defect in GM cases it probably wouldn't have lasted. Something to do with oil pump wearing case out.

Correct it didn't bust it out just 2 small cracks the area was cleaned but the jb spread out a lil farther....I'm still looking into havn it tigged...but if not ill run it....or buy a right side case

Mannnnnnnn. Take advise from some who actually KNOWS!! Tig welding is the most proper form to fix those baby cracks but if u dont have access to a pro tig welder i dono if id take the chance. Tbe damage looks small, like best mentioned i fill a 1in hole with jb right under the crank look up the link that best mintioned before an build ur jb up over the cracks like i did on my case take ur time cleaning and filing the case before applying the jb. It will hold if u apply it correctly.... I promise

i had a friend blow a rod thru the block of a b18 motor out of an acura teg. 3 packs of jb weld and a new rod and u bet ur ass he ran that motor for years after jb never let goo !!!!!!

I gotta question my cam was hitting inside the casing and chipped apiece inside da size of a dime or alil smaller but where it chipped cause my gears to bust da bottom of casing i replaced the casin that broke but the leftside where the cam seats in is still chipped is it ok to put it back together and run it or will it mess something up with the oil traveling thru?

lmao blasters dont have cam's