CR480 Blaster off my local craigslist...

Clydedog

Oct 13, 2010
....The guy's asking $700.00. What do you think?

2vhysk2.jpg

Need more info. That's not a blaster motor, sprocket on right side, and what an exhaust, maybe a 4 stroke motor? I don't see an air filter, that's bad news

I think the exhaust wouldn't last long! Not an expansion chamber pipe either.

Need a little more info.... Does it run? How's the vibration? Is it a hack job

What we think is largely dependent on the condition and current state of the build. I definitely would NOT consider this as a grab and go toy. It looks like it's going to need quite a bit of work.

The fact that it doesn't have an expansion chamber is a huge testament of the builder. I'd be going through an extremely thorough check of this bike. The order of the things that I checked would be the same order that I did to build the bike.

Frame modification and weld quality
Engine mounts and weld quality
sprocket alignment and chain clearance
In your case, axle housing mods and brake mounting
Pipe fitment
carb clearance
Airbox and tract routing
Clutch, brake, throttle routing and function
Electrical

THEN, you can get into the quality of the engine.

If you do go look at it, I'd recommend getting a phone number from a member here so that you can have someone as a consult as you check it out. If you want, PM me and I'll do it. There are a handful of others, but I won't volunteer their names.

To be honest, I'd stay away from it. Only God knows who or what welded the frame and swingarm, the pipe is abnormally discrepant of all things 2 stroke, no filter because 1), it doesn't have one installed and 2) you KNOW it hasn't ever had one because there is no tract to pull air from the aforementioned filter (or lack thereof), $700 doesn't cover nearly anything on a bike like this and makes me think that something has gone very wrong, and lastly, you have no clue what state the electrical system is currently in and you likely cannot run it.

twine holding the exhaust on. no nut on the swingarm pivot bolt. the carb is pointed directly at the shock. no rear brake. i cant believe they mounted the coil on the outside of the bike where your leg goes. i bet it vibrates like crazy.

...The lack of an expansion chamber kinda threw me off. How would a CR480 2 stroke run without a proper chamber ....

Just like a chain saw or weedwacker. It would probably be lacking about half it's power, which would make it barely better than a good blaster engine.
It would be a good start for a wicked toy, but not at that price. I would value it at price of a blowed up blaster, both will need work. The pipe would be biggest challenge, you have nothing to startwith to modify. Next, that was a limited production, parts may be hard to come by.

the other hard part would be finding an intake boot that fits the cylinder and redirects the carb so an airbox can be used.

...Thanks for all the insight. I have a feeling this thing's quite the hack job. It needs a lot of TLC to finish her. I agree, it's not worth $700.00. I may give it a couple of weeks, just to let a stream of buyers at $700.00 check it out, insult the guy's wrenching ability and walk away. If it's still there, I'm sure the price will drop dramatically...