cr125 reeds

Surfrjag

Mar 18, 2010
chesapeake, va
i know i have herd of people using these reeds in the blaster with some modifications. can anyone comment on how well it worked out and maybe show some pics??

I was just about to post a DIY on them.I've read they stomp the vf3's but i havent ran them yet here's some pics on what i just finished tonight!

http://www.blasterforum.com/members...-aluminum-i-would-just-weld-cr-spacer-jug.jpg

4779-heres-profile-shot-demonstrating-how-much-deeper-these-cr-reeds.jpg

4778-its-still-rough-but-everthing-fits-yes-walls-hella-thin-now-but-theyll-hold.jpg

4777-they-sure-look-good-there.jpg

4776-i-shave-around-1-1-5mm-off-each-side-flat-file-sand-paper-tape.jpg

this is by far the best reedblock you can stuff in a stock blaster cylinder.I know ill prob catch hell for this but IMO the v force reeds are not worth half the price they go for.

Did you cut down the sides of the reedblock nate????

If you are going to attempt this i would suggest welding up the intakes first,youll also have to make a spacer for it to help seal the cage to the cylinder and keep it clear from the intake bridge.

thats the pics i wanna see, how they actually bolt up, and mount to the spacer needed
i know some of you guys have this, post them pics up !!!!!!!!!!!!

So the bolt holes line up, or do they have to be "reconfigured" to fit the blaster cylinder?

I see the grinding and depth problem but that's not really a huge issue considering I have to run a spacer plate to clear the clutch arm anyway. Taking some of the sleaing area for the reed cage isn't great, they almost all already have leak problems there anyway removing any metal might make that worse... but maybe worth it for a hefty gain in power.

from what i'm seeing, could be wrong, the bolts dont line up, looks like it has to bolt to the spacer, after the spacer is bolted to the intake
damn shame as much modding knowledge that i, and everyone else on here shares, that this exact formula to do this remains a secret by the few that originated this

You need to use a the right model year reed cage as a few of them have 6 bolt designs. I think the late 80s and early 90s models are 4 bolt designs. If I remember right, it still takes some modding as I believe the area of the reed cage is significantly larger and longer. Like he said, you need a reed spacer....I also believe it's too wide to fit so you have to clean up some of the side of the reed cage for it to fit.

I don't have it on my blaster...I just ported the stock cage a little bit, but I can understand the appeal of the cage. I'm just kind of skeptical bolting up a cage that is so close to the intake bridge and/or side of the intake walls. Doesn't quite work out well with the dynamics of the intake for that particular setup which makes me leery, but people that have done it say it's worked for them, so I can't really say otherwise.

well then i misunderstood some earlier info i got, that they did not bolt directly on
good to know

I've run my blaster with both vf3 and the cr125 cage.... My vf3 has since been sold....to yb200 who didn't send me what he said he would for the trade. Anyways, Had the old cr reeds start to chip so I Droped the 80ish bux for the dual stage pro series boyesens and it hasn't ever given me half the trouble the leaky vf3s used to. I ordered all the parts for a "1991 Cr 125" as I'm certain that year would work.

mine came with boysen dual stage power reeds already on them !!!!!!! i taped the reds shut at the apex and filed down the sides all at once so that the reeds would be a perfect fit!!!! Then i made the blaster 3/8 reed spacer fit around the cage. i then bolted the spacer to the intake to use as a reference as to how much material needed to be removed. Next I started grinding away with my various porting tools and would trial fit the reeds to see what was catching me up. Even after i got them in I had to check to make sure the reeds could flex open and close freely. I plan on using a trimmed blaster gasket with hondabond under the spacer and cr gaskets on the reeds and intake. Things to watch for . . . make sure u dont get into the sealing surfaces. clearance the reeds on the intake walls, dont destroy the rubber coating on the reed blocks sealing surfaces ,always disassemble /clean the reeds thoroughly when done and try not to remove any more material than necessary
http://www.blasterforum.com/members...ed-spacer-go-lil-over-20-should-here-soon.jpg

4780-so-i-bought-blaster-spacer-opened-up-fot-but-retrospect-i-think-i-will-next-time-get-cr-reed-spacer-just-make-scratch-few-dollars-if-i-knew-how-weld-aluminum-i-would-just-weld-cr-spacer-jug.jpg

4778-its-still-rough-but-everthing-fits-yes-walls-hella-thin-now-but-theyll-hold.jpg

4775-sweet-they-finally-fit.jpg

4687-gasket-off-my-90-cr125-reeds-its-amazing-how-well-bolt-holes-line-up.jpg

4686-i-scored-these-90-cr125-boysen-power-reeds-cage-intake-off-ebay-4-25-49-delivered-reed-spacer-go-lil-over-20-should-here-soon.jpg

Good write up bro. Vut I think u may want a latter spacer. That gap between reeds and intake port is pretty cruicial. Everyone I've seen done has a 3/4" spacer

mine came with boysen dual stage power reeds already on them !!!!!!! i taped the reds shut at the apex and filed down the sides all at once so that the reeds would be a perfect fit!!!! Then i made the blaster 3/8 reed spacer fit around the cage. i then bolted the spacer to the intake to use as a reference as to how much material needed to be removed. Next I started grinding away with my various porting tools and would trial fit the reeds to see what was catching me up. Even after i got them in I had to check to make sure the reeds could flex open and close freely. I plan on using a trimmed blaster gasket with hondabond under the spacer and cr gaskets on the reeds and intake. Things to watch for . . . make sure u dont get into the sealing surfaces. clearance the reeds on the intake walls, dont destroy the rubber coating on the reed blocks sealing surfaces ,always disassemble /clean the reeds thoroughly when done and try not to remove any more material than necessary
http://www.blasterforum.com/members...ed-spacer-go-lil-over-20-should-here-soon.jpg

4780-so-i-bought-blaster-spacer-opened-up-fot-but-retrospect-i-think-i-will-next-time-get-cr-reed-spacer-just-make-scratch-few-dollars-if-i-knew-how-weld-aluminum-i-would-just-weld-cr-spacer-jug.jpg

4775-sweet-they-finally-fit.jpg

4687-gasket-off-my-90-cr125-reeds-its-amazing-how-well-bolt-holes-line-up.jpg

4686-i-scored-these-90-cr125-boysen-power-reeds-cage-intake-off-ebay-4-25-49-delivered-reed-spacer-go-lil-over-20-should-here-soon.jpg

Sweet...Are they the power or pro series reeds? The pro series are carbon fiber, not sure bout the power. Either way....sweeet