Counterweight contacting case?

MrShark

May 6, 2016
So I had a bad air leak, that was getting to gearbox area. Just pulled engine apart and can see where the counterweight has been in contact with the case and I'm assuming allowed the Yamabond to be pushed out of that webbing joint. The bearings dont seem to have any movement that would allow the weight to swing far enough to hit. Could I just file down the diameter of the weight? Do bearings anyway?

It is unusual for the balancer to foul the case, new bear opines may help.

Filing the balancer may put it out of balance.

It would have to be turned on a lathe.

X-2 on the bearings, I ended up with a broken case because either the bearing went out and destroyed the gear or gear took out bearing

I got the easy bearing out and there is definitely radial play in the bearing. Still need to pull the other bearing, I have new bearings, oil seals and Yamabond to toss it back together sometime this week.

By the way, what you may have thought was the balancer touching the case, you may have been fooled as the cases are machined up in the factory to allow counterweight clearance.

I see where the case is machined for clearance, but there is a spot with a different pattern and a corresponding difference on the counterweight itself.

Piston is perfectly fine. Just a loose bearing that allowed the weight to swing too far.