Cleaning case halves

Swiftk

Apr 26, 2019
I finally tracked down the load noice and determined that the connecting rod was cracked, so I have embarked on my first ever case splitting. I have taken everything apart and used about a dozen ziplock bags to keep things organized. Before I put the case back together, I think it would be good idea to clean the case inside and out. I have the main bearings out, but have left the rest on the bearings and transmission in place. Can I soak the two case halves in a tub with soapy water and/or degreaser? Once I have used a toothbrush or soft brush to work off any grease, dirt, etc., can I spray with air to dry everything and then spray with wd-40 to prevent any oxidation before I get things back together? Of course, I’ll make sure to hold any bearings so they don’t spin with just air. I’ll be waiting until just before I put the halves back together to put in the new main bearings and all the oil seals.

Thanks for any input and here’s to hoping I can get it all back together!

You ussualy want to get the engine as clean as possible before disassembly . warm soapy water will work..but be careful not to get any of the crude from the outside of the cases in the bearings..
You have the right idea.
Blow dry without bearings spinning and oil right away with whatever trans oil you are using.
How are you putting crank bearings in?
Ussualy you would heat case halves to 212-220 f and put bearings in freezer at least half hour prior. But case halves have to be cleaned good or do it when the ol lady isn't home it will stink alittle.And they drop in by hand.
Or use a heat gun right around bearing area
You are installing to same temp. Check with temp gun. Then oil .

I finally tracked down the load noice and determined that the connecting rod was cracked, so I have embarked on my first ever case splitting. I have taken everything apart and used about a dozen ziplock bags to keep things organized. Before I put the case back together, I think it would be good idea to clean the case inside and out. I have the main bearings out, but have left the rest on the bearings and transmission in place. Can I soak the two case halves in a tub with soapy water and/or degreaser? Once I have used a toothbrush or soft brush to work off any grease, dirt, etc., can I spray with air to dry everything and then spray with wd-40 to prevent any oxidation before I get things back together? Of course, I’ll make sure to hold any bearings so they don’t spin with just air. I’ll be waiting until just before I put the halves back together to put in the new main bearings and all the oil seals.

Thanks for any input and here’s to hoping I can get it all back together!

I did clean the case well before splitting, so it’s in pretty good shape already. As far as install the bearings, I was going to put the bearings on dry ice before dropping them into the warmed up case. The problem with the pandemic is my wife is never not home, so I probably won’t be able to sneak it into the oven! I’ll go with using a heat gun and a infrared thermometer.

I did clean the case well before splitting, so it’s in pretty good shape already. As far as install the bearings, I was going to put the bearings on dry ice before dropping them into the warmed up case. The problem with the pandemic is my wife is never not home, so I probably won’t be able to sneak it into the oven! I’ll go with using a heat gun and a infrared thermometer.
If just changing. The crank bearings your better of with the heat gun. Less chance of the other bearings shifting in their holes
Seem like the sweet spot is 170 degree difference between case and bearings temp they drop right in .sounds like you got this covered.

Also make sure to hold bearings down a few seconds when dropped in case so they heat up alittle so they don't move

Well, I finally got my case halves clean and did a full inspection and think my cases have finally met their end. The transmission case half has a crack where the crank shaft sits and looks like a bigger piece could also break off. The other half is really torn up from wheare the connecting rod cracked and seized the crank. I would love some expert opinions as to whether it is time to replace or even if it’s worth replacing the entire case? I also noticed that the transmission tumbler, probably not the right name, looks to have a piece broken off. Doesn’t look to be causing any issues, but wouldn’t want any other pieces to break off and work their way into the transmission.

Thanks

Attachments

• 49F396D1-B1F9-4217-A246-CF649497C0C5.jpeg
    49F396D1-B1F9-4217-A246-CF649497C0C5.jpeg
    95.3 KB · Views: 135
  • 21E2B0C6-50A4-4748-BB33-1815BC31D4F2.jpeg
    21E2B0C6-50A4-4748-BB33-1815BC31D4F2.jpeg
    81.4 KB · Views: 133
  • 1C0C3C8F-F122-4EC3-8E96-AF14D1E8F24E.jpeg
    1C0C3C8F-F122-4EC3-8E96-AF14D1E8F24E.jpeg
    86.2 KB · Views: 139
Don't worry about the shift drum.they all look like that.
The case may be able to be repaired? Pretty beat up. You can change case halves on these.they are not a matched set.