Counterbalance bearing caused gear to come apart

Mert

Mar 16, 2008
Kentucky
My roommate was about to change the oil in his blaster, so I asked him if I could go ride some wheelies to warm it up first. I jump on and kick it a few times and it starts and runs for about 10 seconds and then dies with a loud clank. I pushed on the kicker gently and it wouldn't turn. He pulled the clutch cover off and this was the situation.
XrtVAM2.jpg

His counter balance bearing is way loose, a couple of the gears are a little chewed up. Looks like it's time to split cases again.

Ausome!! Now I know of two others besides me that have had a gear fail. Don't feel bad though, mine also took out the case when brg let loose :mad:

well, he just informed me that he's going to put a new gear on there and ride this weekend, then fix it proper. I told him he was an idiot and he was just going to ruin a new gear and possibly f*ck things up worse and afterwards I would just tell him "I told you so"

Reactions: motoman159
Cases are getting harder to find and more $$$. I "lucked out" and got a bottom end with bad crank for $125. So I now also have a few spare pieces.
For piece of mind I used new balance brgs. Rod brg was loose on big end so I got new crank and brgs. 3mil was only a little more :D, so I let the mod bug bite me.

BTW, that gear is $70-80 new :eek:
Shaft brgs are about $25 ea