Contemplating a YZ 250 swap

doc_speeder

Feb 14, 2009
Lethbridge AB
I'm having trouble finding a motor for a good price, but if I can I think I'll buy it. Looks like 2000 or newer YZ250's made about 43-46 HP stock, which is about 10 more than a fairly worked Blaster motor makes. I've done a fair bit of fabricating, not too worried about that part. Just wondering about the vibration issue everyone mentions. I realize it's because they are not counterbalanced like the Blaster, but why do you notice the vibes more on a quad than you would on the YZ250 bike? I don't get that.

Anybody got any leads on a motor? I don't mind paying for shipping. I order lots of stuff from the US. Just the price you pay to live in the "Great White North"!

370 has a yz 250 motor he will sell, contact him. its an older model but its had some work done to it....he can tell you more about it....

yep it's an older model.. 87 actually i picked it up because it bolts right into a tri-z.. it's got some work done to it for sure.. it's a triple ex port setup, o ring head (no more head gaskets) came out of a micro sprint race car.. it starts and runs.. was orginally on meth but i have ran it opn race gas just fine as well... i have not ever checked the port timing but i will if your interested in the engine.. i also have a bunch of spare stuff thta will go with it as well.. i'll even toss in the radiators for ya.. PM me for a price

yep it's an older model.. 87 actually i picked it up because it bolts right into a tri-z.. it's got some work done to it for sure.. it's a triple ex port setup, o ring head (no more head gaskets) came out of a micro sprint race car.. it starts and runs.. was orginally on meth but i have ran it opn race gas just fine as well... i have not ever checked the port timing but i will if your interested in the engine.. i also have a bunch of spare stuff that will go with it as well.. i'll even toss in the radiators for ya.. PM me for a price it has the stator in it and i have the CDI for it as well.. you can use the ign coil from your blaster with it as well.. also have a BIG makuni carb for it as well... reeds, intake, it's all there bolt it in.. fab up a pipe and your ready to rock..

So I haven't really found a motor around here, but I did find a complete, running, almost minty 1978 YZ400 pretty cheap. Paulie B says the '79 may be more desireable, but the '78 looks to be much easier to get parts for.
I'll see what I can get it for, maybe I'll go that route.

On the vibration issue, Otis, I saw your rubber mount thread. I was thinking, lots of the big road bikes (Harleys for sure) use fairly compact rubber mounts. Anybody have any opinion on using something like that?

Personaly I think PaulieB's Blaster is the cat's meow! It looks like a Blaster but it's a monster. No radiator problems & plenty of power.

A hint about the rubber. Don't use much. Just a thin piece to isolate but not a lot like in my thread. You don't need to go to all the trouble I did. I've learned a bit from that and I'll update that thread after I finish a motor upgrade & do some more testing. I'm sure you'll find your own path, that's part of the fun.

There is a certain appeal to having a simple anvil for a motor (YZ400), but I also like the idea of a state-of-the-art modern 250cc mill too. The 250 would be easier to find parts for, and in stock form make more power, but the liquid cooling does add some complexity for sure...
Then again, maybe I'd be happy with a worked Blaster motor...But I don't think it's realistic to expect more than 35 hp or so (reliably, long term) from a really worked motor, and with a BB kit, I wouldn't be ahead money wise for sure.
AAAHHHHHHH! How do I decide?:(:(

So here's where I'm at right now. I found a REALLY clean 1997 YZ250 wiht a fairly fresh top end that I think I can get for $800. I could likely sell/part the rest of the bike for $200 or so, and maybe sell my Blaster motor with 34mm PJ, DMC pipe, and VF3's for $300 or so? That brings my cost down to $300 or so, much cheaper than the $700-$800 I was budgeting to build my blaster motor. Probably end up with 8-10 more ponies too.
Looks like the way to go from a cash flow perspective.

i'm already thinking about doing something like this with mine...and its not even running yet lol