All cleaned up and no where to go!

weatherjack

Aug 11, 2018
Anyone that has seen my post knows I bought a 1996 Yamaha blaster yes the ugly duckling yellow purple. I have spent many hours learning about this engine and have spent more on tools that I did not have to work on this engine or really the money for parts/tools. This forum in my opinion is the best source of information if you decide to undertake a classic atv such as the YFS200. Parts are still available but are limited and this also means the price of parts cost a little more. Sure you can find things such as bearings that are not OEM a lot cheaper than buying a Yamaha number specific bearing from another supplier but if you are going to replace them all along with other wear parts to source these out is going to take a very long time. I bought a "complete" kit from RMATV (which I would like to say the shipping is unheard of fast) for what I feel was a good buy considering I want to build this stock. I also ordered all of the "use new one" parts recommended by the Yamaha service manual up this point. I am waiting on a few parts to arrive before I dive into a complete engine assembly which is a lacking portion on this forum. Sure there is a tip and trick here and there but no real complete ok here is your cases this is what to do. There is a lot of information on youtube on taking them apart but the build info is missing. I have my cases and most of the parts (waiting on clips and washers and cluch pack) all cleaned up waiting. Would it be sensible for me to take pictures or video of the engine build and post them here other than to be critiqued by those that have done it? This leads my to my next thoughts on if I should continue. I have looked over my machine starting with the frame and it looks good other than paint. Tires are dry rotted to the point where they sat in one spot so long they have holes where they sat. The wiring looks good. Tors and the autolube are complete. I have not inspected the carb, hubs, brakes, chain rollers, or other parts beyond the engine. It has been costly so far. My plan was to build this as original as possible but I am not sure I can afford it. Should I suck it up and burn a hole in my pocket or sell the engine when I am finished. I am roughly ~500$ USD away from buying a used one that runs. Not to say I would not have to tear down the engine anyway. What are your thoughts?

Reactions: Awk08
Unless someone has receipts to prove they replaced the same bearings you have, youdybe no further ahead.
Some things can wait until funds allow, such as swingarm, carrier, rollers, etc.

ANY Blaster is 10-30 years old. Things wear or degrade.