Considering a Firearm

jlsparky7

Mar 26, 2007
Southeastern, Mi
Ive been wanting to get my CCW/CPL for awhile now. Ive shot several handguns including a 9mm sig, a .45, and a 357 S&W. I will be carrying the gun on me or have it in my personal vehicle almost all the time it will be used for personal protection and target shooting. I was considering the springfield xd sub compact because it is ambidextrous, I am left handed and left eye dominate heres the link...

http://www.springfield-armory.com/xd.php?model=2

My question, im not sure if I should go with it in 9mm or .40? Anyone with gun experience please give me your advice or comments. If you have actually shot one of the 2 please let me know. Comments are welcome from people that havnt shot but please let me know you havnt shot.

I was also considering the glock 30 which i believe only comes in .45.

I own a Mossberg 535 tactical turkey shotgun in 12ga now so it will not be my first firearm but it will be my first pistol.

My dad has a glock and I have put a lot of target shooting rounds through it and I love it, its powerful enough to be take down gun but not to strong where you hate shooting it. Well my 11 year old cousin shot it and she loved it and she is a girl. The only downside to them is the bullets are expensive.

I carry a Glock 19 in a in-the-waistband houlster. The size fits well plus it holds 16. I always prefer 9mm over .40 especially in home defense, more control for repeat fire and less of a chance going through a wall and hitting someoneI:I If your looking for a lefty HK makes a nice 9mm available in left but it runs about $800

A 9x19 has less recoil than a 40s&w, and with the right bullet selection, will perform as well as the 40s&w. But take into consideration of the size of the cartridge. The 9mm is .355 diameter, where the 40 is, obviously .400 of an inch. The only problem I'm seen with 40s&w guns is that it is a high pressure cartridge, and in some pistol that don't fully support the rear of the cartridge ( Glocks, Springield XD series, Sigmas ) this could lead to a case rupture if you get a hot loaded cartridge. But the same can be said with +P or +P+ 9mm rounds or the .357 SIG round ( which is a .40 casing necked down to 9mm )
Please don't get me wrong, I carry a Glock 22C in 40s&w and shoot Rem Golden Sabers through it and have never had a problem. But if you hand load, or buy cheap ammo, you run the risk of what I said before.
If you looking at the .45 calibers, I'd have to recommend staying away from Glock .45GAP. It's a impressive round for sure, but ammo is expensive and very hard to locate. Same as the 10mm. It's a powerhouse, but hard on the wallet and the wrist. The .45ACP is plentiful and will always be around.
(if you hadn't figured out yet, I'm a firearms fanatic, lol. Competition gunsmith with the National Guard Bureau Marksmanship Training Center and Schools at Camp Robinson, NLR, AR / Certified Judical Subject Expert for the State of Arkansas / and I own my own shop)

i prefer longer barrels, but that makes for a bulky carry gun. i like the .40 better than 9 mil. more knockdown power, but the ammo is a little more expensive. my drill sgt in basic said he shot a guy 4 times in the chest with his 9 mil cause his M4 jammed and the guy was still coming at him.... but that of course is with fmj's, hollowpoints would undoubtedly do better. i'd still prefer the 40 tho, but i like a little kick haha

ive had many guns.. i really depends on what you want. right now i have a glock 27 its a compact 40 cal.. it has some kick to it.the gf shot it once abd wont do it again. i had a springfield 1911 A1 45cal thts was a sweet gun.. but for an everyday carry around gun id go with the 9mm glock it has less recoil i feels like you can unload it faster and more accurate.. unless dont wanna leave cases the of corse go wth a revolver..

WOW! thanks for all the advice guys. Looks like I will go with the Sub compact XD but im still unsure of the caliber. Im leaning towards 9 mill simply because the ammo is cheaper and I like to shoot a lot. I bought my shotgun less than a year ago and already have a few hundred rounds through it.