Complete overhaul

Jradd127

Oct 6, 2013
NJ
I'm a bit nervous, I can't lie. I've done projects before but this is my first engine overhaul and I don't wanna waste more money. I bought my blaster used with fried rings for $450. I bought a Namura top end kit for $80 I believe and after a tank and a half one of the skirts on the piston blew to pieces.

I approached this project with the intentions of doing it once, and doing it right. I began thinking why it blew up, first and foremost I rolled it which I doubt hurt her (minus bent bars). Next, the tranny oil plug dropped out (guy I bought it from loosened it & didn't tell me...never thought to check) and I rode for probably 30 minutes after that, only thing I noticed is it took 3 kicks to start one time rather than 1 (I towed the quad, replugged, reoiled & continued to ride after). The last problem I just thought of yesterday was that the front stud on the cylinder is bad & fell out when I took off the nut, air leak?

My current plan is to purchase another cylinder, cylinder head (mine has nicks in it), and engine rebuild kit.

I see heads go for about $20-$30 on eBay
Cylinder, gaskets, piston $245
Bottom end rebuild kit $170

I'd like to be able to get this up for under $450 what do you guys think? I finally have the cash to get this going, the engine is mostly apart and where I'm at is this:
left side of bottom end is apart
right side is currently at clutch (haven't taken that apart yet to go any farther)
top end is all apart, piston is stuck on connecting rod...tried heating, pulling, and cutting piston...nothing worked & rings are out of the wrist pin/piston area

I just need some advice so I don't screw anything up guys...Thanks!
Also, if anyone has parts for sale please let me know!

You will possibly find that after that amount of carnage the whole bottom end will be shot.

You are going to have to split the cases entirely and replace all the bearings and seals..

I would not trust the wrist end of a rod that has been subjected to that kind of trauma.

first off blaster is correct I would not trust that rod.and I would at the least have the cylinder checked by a machine shop bored if needed and order the correct sized piston replace all bearing and seals in bottom end.Ken occonor has some very helpful blaster rebuild videos on u tube.Also if you broke a piston skirt it sounds like you had piston slap caused by improperly sized piston

I was told the cylinder was a stock bore, the guy was clueless and I knew I should have taken it to a shop to have it checked. I don't have the money to buy a new bottom end or have someone do it so all the work will be done by yours truly.
Bottom end rebuild kits include new cranks all together so I was just going to install that with the rod on it & get rid of the old rod & crank
Herpderp, I've checked out Ken's work and although I wish I could pay him to do it, I'm watching his videos for advice

I'm not looking at anything right now cuz I'm busy doing something else but does anyone know if I can pop the clutch off as one whole piece?