Coatings

ColWhitecakes

May 11, 2010
I notice that there are several professional builders on here, which is a valuable asset to us more novice guys. My question is; have any of y'all, or anyone else for that matter, had any experience with use some of the new friction-reducing and heat dissipating coatings with any of your builds? If so, have you noticed any real-world performance gains or perhaps even resistance to carbon building with any of these? Were any gains or benefits from these cost-affective? I haven't personally heard of any of these being used on 2-strokes myself, not that it probably hasn't been done.

if you are talking about nikasil (and any other derivative of it), the benefits are: better transfer of heat from the cylinder to the sleeve, harder than the sleeves (hone stays longer, meaning more compression longer and better oil retention). The disadvantages are: since it is harder and very thin, it can chip fairly easily and when this happens the sleeve is junk and will need to be replated (which isnt that cheap, especially compared to boring), when the sleeve wears out, it will need to be plated (again, vs the cost of boring).

The only way to really utilize the coating is by casting a cylinder that is based around using nikasil (project blaster and CT make kits that use the coating). As far as i kno, none of the builders cast their own cylinders at this point.

Most of the type of coatings I am refering to are used on piston skirts (normally a friction reducing compound), and piston faces and combustion chambers(heat dissipating compounds).

Well, as I understand it, hyperuretic refers to the process of construction moreso than it being a coating. If I remember correctly, hyperurectic refers to an alloy with a high silicon content and effects the pistons expansion from heat as well.
I researched this a lil while we've been discussing this and found this:
Racing Coatings - Two Cycle Coatings from Swain Tech including engine piston coatings, ceramic coating services engine, automotive ceramic coating, ceramic header coating, dry film lubricant, race engine coatings, exhaust header coating

I use ceramic coatings on cylinder heads as well as piston crowns. Never done it with a Blaster but plenty of YZ 250 pistons have seen the inside of my oven. I do it to reduce the loss of heat into the head and piston. I don't ride these bikes so I can't tell you if it makes a difference. In theory, it makes sense and is easy and inexpensive to do. I've never had a problem with flaking.

I bought a forged piston and got a Wossner brand. I never heard of this make before so I got concerned, after research found Wossner is very proud of its piston coating. They say thats the technology of the future and spend alot of time on the coating now.

wsm piston are supposed to have a platinum coating. not sure about whether r not its relevant ,but hey , its info about heat coatings