Clutch wont engage

Tatertotts

Nov 7, 2018
Hello, i have a 1998 yamaha blaster yfs200. Completely rebuilt the engine because of a hole in bottom of crankcase. Im finished now and in the process of breaking it in. While out riding everything works as it should until about 30 minutes in, i lose all pressure in the clutch lever and the clutch will not engage neutral when lever is pulled in. I have gone thru all the basics
1. Adjusted the lever on handle bars
2. Adjusted push rod on right side of engine
3. Lined up points on lever on the engine and then adjusted push rod again

I can get it to work for a short time and then as i stated before while out riding i lose all pressure in the clutch lever on the handlebars and then i have nothing as far as being able to pull in lever and engage neutral. Anyone have any ideas as to why this would happen?

Hello, i have a 1998 yamaha blaster yfs200. Completely rebuilt the engine because of a hole in bottom of crankcase. Im finished now and in the process of breaking it in. While out riding everything works as it should until about 30 minutes in, i lose all pressure in the clutch lever and the clutch will not engage neutral when lever is pulled in. I have gone thru all the basics
1. Adjusted the lever on handle bars
2. Adjusted push rod on right side of engine
3. Lined up points on lever on the engine and then adjusted push rod again

I can get it to work for a short time and then as i stated before while out riding i lose all pressure in the clutch lever on the handlebars and then i have nothing as far as being able to pull in lever and engage neutral. Anyone have any ideas as to why this would happen?

1541625103637808832792.jpg

are you aligning the dots ?

full

Yes they have been aligned. Do the steel plates absolutely have to be spaced out properly? Meaning that the small hump on them is spaced every other opening, would not spacing these out correcrly cause me to lose clutch pressure in the lever?

So you're saying clutch works properly, you go riding. After a little while the cluccl doesn't opperate correctly?

How many times have you taken it apart since it stared doing this?
Everything works correctly when you first get it back together?

Now for the hard question !
Does the quad stop going forward? (engage)
Does it NOT want to stop? (dis-engage)

Ok so i went back thru step by step and i think i solved my problem. I may have not spaced my steel plates out properly. The little round hump on the outside of it. Spaced them every other groove and now i have plenty of pressure for the time being. But now i have a new problem. My blaster is idling like there is no tomorrow? Could this be an issue with the TORS? Ive heard nothing but bad about it and im down to my final ounce of patience and about to delete it. Cleaned the carb and my slide moves and rests properly where it should. Someone please give me some other ideas. I dont think i have any air leaks lol

Reactions: Larry's Shee
Ok so i went back thru step by step and i think i solved my problem. I may have not spaced my steel plates out properly. The little round hump on the outside of it. Spaced them every other groove and now i have plenty of pressure for the time being. But now i have a new problem. My blaster is idling like there is no tomorrow? Could this be an issue with the TORS? Ive heard nothing but bad about it and im down to my final ounce of patience and about to delete it. Cleaned the carb and my slide moves and rests properly where it should. Someone please give me some other ideas. I dont think i have any air leaks lol

If it suddenly started revving high, you most likely have an air leak!
A Blaster is anywhere from 12 to 31 years old. Things wear out, rubber hardens. A leak down test should be considered routine maintenance. You can't "Think" you don't have a leak, you have to know you don't. An air leak can destroy an engine in short time.

Member AWK sells nice test kits.

As to the TORS just delete it, it can cause all kinds of weird problems. Pre 03 unplug 3wire brain box under the hood. 03-06 search. Certain wires need to be cut and spliced.