Clutch seems to work but wont shift through gears

Sonia_69

Jun 6, 2011
Iowa
Ok guys so my Bf and I went riding on saturday for about 5 hrs, clutch on his 2000 blaster worked fine no issues with it, then Sunday he took it for a ride and lost the clutch completely! The cable seems to pull back on the push lever but its extremely loose while pulling on the lever, it does sorta move the push lever back and forth but you cant shift it into any gear. Saturday we swapped blaster just cuz I wanted to see how his rode, and I noticed when I went to go that the clutch was ridiculousy hard to pull back, so hard in fact that I could barely shift, so I rode it for maybe 2 mins then got the f*** off it an back on my own cuz I was sick of dealing with his clutch lever like that! Mine is not like that at all so I didnt like it much. He didnt seem to really think it was that hard til I said something about it though. So anyways would the push rods maybe have got messed up or something, or are his plates sticking together, go completely out?? Also the dealership said the complete motor was replaced so if thats the case wouldnt have the clutch been too??? Please help me out again guys!! Need this solved ASAP, NEED TO RIDE SATURDAY!!! Thanks!! :)

could have welded the ball to the push rod and that is why it is hard to move. or his clutch basket is worn and the discs are catching in the groves.

Could just need an adjustment. Due to worn disks. May have to pull the clutch cover and perform the internal adjustment "aligning the points up, Then adjusting the free play in the cable, or may need a new cable, $25 ebay- slick

once when i held the clutch in for too long trying to find nuetral while wide open in 6th gear, i welded the internal ball bearing to the clutch side shift rod, but it felt like no clutch, not harder to pull

could be frozen, stretched cable also ???

i also had a dealer do a bottom end for me once and they didnt tighten the locking nut on the internal adjustment rod, so it worked loose, almost off, which could have scattered everything

just some thoughts to look into

hey awk you know the person to ask on this just give him a call.

whats up mr. 5 posts ????
c-ya in a few days

and the answer to her question is one of the 3 symptons i suggested

Ok so if it happens to be the push rods welded to the ball bearing, would I have to crack the case to fix that, right? An wheres the best place to get new rods and such?? Also how can I tell if the plates are bad?

Ok so if it happens to be the push rods welded to the ball bearing, would I have to crack the case to fix that, right? An wheres the best place to get new rods and such?? Also how can I tell if the plates are bad?

No , just have to drain the tranny fluid, take the kicker off, remove the clutch cover bolts/screws.

Any online place that sells yamaha factory parts, boats.com, cheapcycleparts.com. Maybe off of a member on here would be your best bet.

You have to [mic] measure the thickness of the plates. I don't recall what the min thickness is.

Alright! Thanks! Bf is tearing into it as I type this, im still at work til 1:30am so wont kno how far he got or whats exactly wrong with it...... Thanks for the help, il tell ya how it turns out!!!

Ok so we got her tore apart but we cant get the 1st rod out? Does the basket need to come off to do that? And if so will both rods whether fused ball bearing or not be visible and be able to pull right out then? An if I cant get my hands a clutch holder what else can I use??

Also Todd (BF) thinks the discs and cage looks fine, no wear or whatnot on them!!!

So just talked to the local dealership and they said that impact tools will be meeded to break loose the rods but it that doesnt work then I would have to crack the case to go from the other side!!! WTF. Somebody tell me they are wrong...... Lol

just remove the pressure plate and the first rod will come with it. the second can be a bit more difficult. a combo of tipping the quad, moving the arm , a magnet and shaking the quad it will fall out. Dont loose the ball that is between the 2 rods...good luck

Ok thanks! And I already got new rods, lock nut and ball bearing ordered so no worries about losing that tiny ball lol any idea if I cant get my hands on some impact air tools what I can use to hold the clutch cage in place will I try an get the nut off???

Wait we already have all those parts off, we can see and turn the rod but it will NOT come out at all!! We tried just sliding it out and nothing. Tried pullin it out with pliers nothing! So no we are stuck just like the damn rod! Lol

Any ideas on how to get the stuck #1 rod out? Tried breaking it loose but still nothing? Will I have to crack the case now and go from the other side?

unfortunately yes you would have too split the cases. The rod runs through the gear...i cant imagine what could happen to the rod that would make it not come out considering it turns and you can get pliers on it ...something is weird

Yeah when we turn the rod it kinda looks like its bent? If so how does that happen and any ideas all why it wont come out?