clutch help

cheddar89

Feb 14, 2013
joplin mo
New to the two stroke four wheelers just felt like my clutch was slipping in the upper gears is it normal or is it time to replace them dont mean to sound dumb just didnt feel right to me
Thanks

NO DUMB QUESTIONS, THATS WHAT THIS SITE IS FOR
TRY THE TUSK BRAND CLUTCH KIT FROM EBAY OR ROCKYMOUNTAINATV.COM

sorry bout the caps lock

Thanks guys I appreciate it just bought it took it out today and had a blast how hard is it to replace the clutches I read alittle bit about it main thing I seen was lining the marks up and somethin about a ball bearing?

The ball bearing is in between pushrod 1 & 2. Goes thru the center of the case. Just make sure you got some grease on it and its not fused to the end of one of the rods. Clutches themselves are fairly simple. The marks are 2 lil dots on the pressure plate and the clutch basket. Tighten springs down in a criss cross pattern. There's a really good video on YouTube specifically for the blaster clutches. Pretty sure a member posted it

Also wouldn't hurt to have a Clymers manual or the download manual. A replacement clutch is different than stock. It doesn't have the wavey plate and the steels are all full sized. Would highly suggest you get heavier springs while you're at it.

Using "car" oil like 5w30 or 10w30 is a common problem with slipping clutches.
The "friction reducers" also reduce the grip of the plates and glaze them.
Sometimes they can be rescued by a couple oil changes with ATF (automatic transmission fluid - Dextron).
Usually it still ends up requiring the friction plates to be changed.

Steve

Well I got the old clutches out and they look new actually they look just as thick as the old ones the kid had been running atv 10w30 in it there was still dots on the plates that came out of it do u think the oil could have been makin it slip or is it just my imagination of them slipping

If it was a plain old 10w30 engine oil without any friction modifiers then I would say that either the adjustment was a little out, or your mind was messin' with you.

I have run 10w30 motor oil for years and no slippage has occured, but put in an oil with friction modifiers and it will make them slip, the oil is designed that way.

It was atv four stroke oil and looked like the dots werent lined up right you think I should keep the clutches for a backup set I got the heavy duty clutch kit so I mite as well put it in just wonderin if I should junk em or save em

If they have plenty of service left it could be a good idea to wrap them in plastic film and store them, you never know when they could be needed.

Them dots have gotta be lined up for them to work!

Alright is there dots all the way around it ir is there one certain dot I glanced at it when I had it out but it was dark and just seen the ones all the way around the basket

I have had modern 10w30 (in it when I bought it) mess up the plates on my DT200 actually.
I flushed it (ran it gently for a week or so) several times with ATF and the plates cleaned up.

Steve