Clutch adjustment?

1meanblaster

Sep 3, 2010
Kimball, MI
i had broke the shift shaft and had to take the clutch off to get it apart and back together.. and i put it all together again and now i my clutch don't work.. and it worked great before i took it apart.. how do i adjust the clutch? and do i put the screws and springs on the friction plate before i adjust it or after

1. pull the lever does the clutch arm move (on side if motor)? Yes go to next step-

2. Drain the crankcase and remove the clutch cover if you still have oil injection on (your not pre-mixing), becareful of the oil lines that are attached to the cover. Set the cover aside-

3. while you are looking at the clutch basket, have someone pull the lever Does the pressure plate move away from the fiberplates? Yes-next step

4. Remove the pressure plate, by removing the five bolts and springs that go around it pull the pressure plate off, being careful to check for a ball bearing to come out with it, it could be welded onto the rod or may just fall out as you remove the plate and rod assembly. keep everything clean! i use a piece of aluminum foil to set it all on top of.

5. Remove each fiber plate, and steel plate, large wave ring, [writing down the order the wave ring and smaller fiber plate came out]. Put those on the aluminum foil sheet- Now all that should be left is inner basket outer basket.

6. Look for deep grooves where the inside and outside part of the fibers and steel plates ride.

Compliments of AWK08-
Inner basket groove marks-
245is6s.jpg

331kvag.jpg

7.The outer basket look at the fingers on it that is where the grooves will be.

If you see deep ones or anypiece broken (I'd replace it), the outer basket fingers one you can file down but only go as far as you need to (until the grooves are flat again!) Remove the baskets before you try to file anything , you DO NOT want aluminum shavings/filings in your crankcase!

8.At this point I would take a coat hanger and the strongest magnet you can get, put the end of the hanger about 4 or so inches in the hole where the rod came out of and try to get the ball bearing out (if it didn't fall out already)
and try to get the longer second rod out, once you do that go tom the other side of the bike and take the cable off the arm and pull the arm straight up and out, inspect the end of it, i have seen some mangled ones before, not sure how that happens!

9. After all that is checked it will be time to re-assemble and adjust the clutch from the inside- here is how to do that-

How to do proper adjustment- (Ya have to remove the cable first! And remember Fiber plate goes in first then steel, then fiber then steel... until all are in you should end up with a fiber plate in last!)

1. loosen the outer center nut on the pressure plate almost all the way off 10MM

2. hold the clutch lever (the part that the cable hooks onto in the motor) and gently push it towards the front of your bike to relieve the spring tension

3. Now with a small phillips turn the center shaft in which ever direction it takes to align the pointer marks up as you are applying a little pressure to lever shouldn't take many turns you will feel it move. [usually clockwise] Pic of arrow on caseVV (the point on the clutch shaft should point to this arrow on the case)
dsc01759.jpg

4. When it is aligned, let the lever go it will go off the arrow due to spring tension that's ok. Keep your screw driver on there and take your wrench 10mm and tighten the center nut down snug while holding the center rod tight so it doesn't move. (I used blue locktight on threads also)

5. Now take a socket and tighten it down good but becareful you dont overtighten it and snap it just a good snug tight is perfect. 5 ft lbs is what the manual says.

6. Put the cover back on, make sure your spring for the kick gear is in the hole when you do this or you'll be replacing some more parts down the road (experience talking here!).

7. attach the cable back up and adjust that just until you feel the springs on the pressure plate start to hit, then back off 1/8 turn and try that, ya may need to play with the adjustment on the handle bar lever as it warms up.

If you cannot reach any step a couple things to look at are, Missing ball bearing or two ball bearings accidentally put in, bad clutch lever shaft, incorrect number of plates or incorrect pressure plate placement (DOTS ALIGNED).

Sweet write-up slick! You should make a thread with that and get it stickied!