changed exhaust now boggs down and cuts out...please help

jtmoney61585

Jul 7, 2014
Switched from stock exhaust to pro circuit exhaust and silencer but now it boggs down and cuts out at about half to full thro..can anyone help??

then your way lean if its stock jetting. i would recommend a 280 main jet and the needle in the middle position thats what i run in my stock unported blaster with a fmf. then plug chop to confirm the jet size is correct. also do you still have the oil injection? and you need to leak test atleast twice a year.

then your way lean if its stock jetting. i would recommend a 280 main jet and the needle in the middle position thats what i run in my stock unported blaster with a fmf. then plug chop to confirm the jet size is correct. also do you still have the oil injection? and you need to leak test atleast twice a year.
No oil injection...mix myself 32:1 ratio

and in my opinion a 240 is way to small. ive heard of people run a bigger main jet with a stock exhaust. start out rich on the main like a 280 then plug chop and go from there.

First I would leak test it before you do anything! Then buy a ton of jets and throw something higher in there.. (Depends on mods and elevation.) then plug chop it to conform jetting.

With oil injection deleted that calls for bigger main jet in itself, I think one up just for the premix, an is your airbox lid on or off, what air filter are you running? I definitely wouldn't ride the machine again until you at least jet it properly, or your gonna be rebuilding the engine from piston melting

I'm not sure where they got 240 from, but I'd order some GENUINE MIKUNI jets in sizes 260, 270, 280, 290, and 300. Start with the biggest one and work your way down until you get a plug chop right. If you have an air leak, you'll end up trying to compensate for too much air and jet it too rich. It'll still screw up either way, so I'd leak test it ASAP.

Compression test
Leak test
Clean carb and set floats
Clean filter
Install larger main jet
Plug chop
Install smaller main jet
Repeat the last 2 until your plug chop comes back fine

I was running it yesterday and it was cuttin out boggin down but i kept riding then it suddenly stopped running. Took top end apart and piston was fried and in pieces. Is this from the not jettin when installed new exhaust and silencer orsomething else?Was a new rebuild with maybe 12 hours on it

It could be from not jetting correctly or you have a leak!!! Since your motor is apart you must tear apart the bottom end and clean it out. Replace any bearing That need replacing. Then you should clean the carb real well and throw a big size jet in it. Leak Test when you put motor together after you put new gaskets and torque everything down.

Could be from a few things. If the piston is fried, it could have been from an incorrect piston clearance, lack of oil, or overheating due to running lean (for whatever reason). I'd be willing to bet that running lean had a good bit to do with it.

Thanks...ordered new piston kit stock bore and 6sigma stage 1-3 jet kit. Will repost with results by this weekend hopefully...ne more guggestions would b appreciated thanks everyone